Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Single shot take down rifle

res
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    This isn't single shot, but broke down to fit on a day pack.
    I've since taken off the 5.56x45 11.5" barrel and put on a 6.5 Grendel barrel, so doesn't fit in the day pack anymore.

Attachment 79647
    I think I have an extra dolas barrel qd setup if you want to make it fit in your pack again
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks anyway, its now a heavier build all over and I've moved on from the concept.
    res likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

This KelTec 223 is a lightweight and 1 pin pushed out with a bullet nose and it folds and even fits nicely in bag with moderator still attached.
    Replaced the Mags as factory mags were crap - takes any AR15 Mag - its based on the AR15 apparently.
    Was thinking selling this - but might keep as its very handy and compact if on the likes of the Dingy - bag slings over shoulder good and can sit with it on back too

Name:  20170122_125226.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  20170122_125116.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  3.31 MB
    dogmatix, Scouser, 223nut and 1 others like this.

Dama dama..... THE GOOD OLD Rusky doesnt have to be carried with rifle cocked relying on a safety at all..... you can decock it just as easy and safely as rifle with exposed hammer,then simply squeeze cocking lever back up to make it ready to go again.... we do this with rifle and shotguns to great effect.
    I really rate them as solid work horse guns.
    Pointer, timattalon and A330driver like this.

Micky Duck, I stand corrected and good to note. Overall I agree with your comment on them being a solid work horse. The scope mounting system remains an issue I can't get over. But would not rule out getting one and running an aperture sight.

scopemount issue is easy and cheap to fix....for under $50 you buy an airgun base that has 4 allen key grub screws that hold base onto the tiny dovetail provided on rifle and your scope sits neatly in the rings above lined up nice and straight as its a one piece jobbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Micky Duck, I stand corrected and good to note. Overall I agree with your comment on them being a solid work horse. The scope mounting system remains an issue I can't get over. But would not rule out getting one and running an aperture sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    scopemount issue is easy and cheap to fix....for under $50 you buy an airgun base that has 4 allen key grub screws that hold base onto the tiny dovetail provided on rifle and your scope sits neatly in the rings above lined up nice and straight as its a one piece jobbie.
    We have a few options in these if it helps. I have a few chioces in these types of mounts. There is a forward / rearward offset one that fits well depending on where you want the scope and these handle the compact scopes too. As mentioned there is a few different airgun mounts (some higher than others) that do the tick too, Best of all, a lot of these options are around the $35 mark and work very well.
    Micky Duck likes this.

The issue I have with the scope mounting systems, and this is personal opinion of course, is that none offer a low scope mounting option. The scope sit up really high, and then combine this with the drop on the stock and its all very awkward, at least for me.

I like high combs or straight stocks and I stick to low power scopes (i.e. small) that I can use in the lowest mounts I can get.

To me the Baikal just works well as a open sighted rifle. I like the bergara single shot as it suits my preferred scope mounting system.

That said, I wouldn't pooh pooh anyone who put a scope on a Baikal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeF1JO7Ki8E

Some of them can get quite low but these can require a smaller scope than may want... Using the rail otion at the bottom, you can fit much lower rings, but bear in mind that normal length scopes will start to contact the rear open sight if it is not removed.

Name:  20170325_091102_resized.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  301.4 KB

Name:  20170325_092134_resized.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  259.2 KB

Name:  Izh18 scope mount weaver rail and N C Star ultra compact.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  397.4 KB

yip that top one is what Ive used on 2 of them with good results..... if you put a scope with small front end glass (like a 1x5 power) on they go really well as rear sight not an issue.

I have a black plastic Baikal .308 that I will never part with, it goes nearly everywhere with me, great for when I go on holiday with the missus I can sneak off for a morning hunt.
    Its a good shooter which I also use as my mountain bike rifle, butt in backpack, barrel tied along top of frame, mint, it kills deer.
    Use a cheap $20 on Trademe 1 piece air rifle mount like Tim Talons top picture, it takes 10 minutes with a file and wood chisel owwww! to modify.
    I am waiting delivery on another the same but in .222 which I just bought on trade me I am sure it will also be a keeper.
    Just because you cant read about Baikal in American mags and forums doesnt mean they are not great with a little loving.
    Generally you must full length size and close the action briskly otherwise the safety interlocking thingy slows the firing pin going forward and causes misfires.
    You can decock the action and safely carry loaded and squeeze the lever to recock when you have identified your target, take the stock off and have a look for yourself. The internal hammer is some millimetres back from the firing pin when decocked.
    These are hunting rifles and like nearly all singleshots they will string vertically after 10 or so shots which can confuse and exasperate on heavy range sessions, take your time and enjoy.
    Cheers Peter
    Brian, timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

OK the .222 plastic Baikal arrived and its very accurate and nice to shoot.
    It took about an hours work for me to polish the trigger and hammer with a square fine oilstone from George Henrys and a final polish with 1200 grit wet and dry. I put a strip of 6mm thick rubber in the bottom of these plastic stocks barrel channel, this seems to be the best way to bed them.
    It shoots really well despite the currently fitted Bushnell Banner 4 x 32 shotgun scope with about 2 MOA crosshairs, it shoots about 1 MOA or 29mm at 100metres. the little .222 cartridge full of AR2206H doesn't heat up the light barrel like my .308 Baikal does so there is no sign of the generally typical single shot rifle vertical stringing after several shots.
    This one is a keeper too.
    Cheers Peter

I'm going to go down this path too, for years I was going to get a real "Kipplauf" like @stug 's very nice Blaser, however too much money in one rifle for me . . .

I'm pretty sure mine is going to be a Baikal, but I the only ones I have had in hand are wood stock jobbies and the 243 I have my eye on is a plastic stock. Any thoughts on the Baikal plastic stock, is it serviceable enough ??
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'm going to go down this path too, for years I was going to get a real "Kipplauf" like @stug 's very nice Blaser, however too much money in one rifle for me . . .

I'm pretty sure mine is going to be a Baikal, but I the only ones I have had in hand are wood stock jobbies and the 243 I have my eye on is a plastic stock. Any thoughts on the Baikal plastic stock, is it serviceable enough ??
    They are like any other low cost plastic stock, cheap n nasty but extremely practical, and nigh on indestructible. You'll have more issues keeping the blued surfaces from rusting.

Personally I would try find the wood stock and re-shape it as fits you, a lot of "meat" to play with. The shape and finish on them from factory ain't the best and a rasping/sanding and refinishing makes a big difference. Believe it or not I even "bedded" the back of the tang on mine as there was a noticeable gap. Don't think it actually improves accuracy but I wanted to limit moisture/crud getting down in there. Bit o' walnut stain and some tru-oil and the thing looks pretty good I reckon. Even added a butt cap to improve the vertical grip (for me anyway). Although I have zero experience with the plastic stock ones so....Pretty much a pointless reply, sorry.
    erniec and nickbop like this.