Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Some help with buying a Sako 85

I want 1 in .270win
    Gun control means using both hands

Banned
    one day ill get one in rem mag!! with loupy glass.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by husmari View Post
    Hello.

I am new to this forum and also to rifle shooting and I would really appreciate
    some help regarding which rifle and calibre to buy for may intended use.

1. I would like to use the rifle for mid-range shooting (up to 300-400 yards) and hunting
    small and medium game.

2. Rifle will be also used by my wife who has around 60kg, so I need a calibre
    with a reasonable recoil.

3. Can anyone tell me pros and cons of a stainless rifle? For example Sako 85 Laminated
    Stainless. Why would/should one choose stainless over non-stainless rifle?

4. Can you recommend a scope for my purpose of a reasonable price?

I am thinking of Sako 85 Classic with 6.5x55SE calibre.
    What do ou think?

Thank tou very much for any of your thoughts.

LpK
    My 2.5 cents on your scope buy, for around 9hundy youll get a nice vx3 cds to put on your sako!....would be a shame to put sub standard glass on a sako.
    sako75 and BRADS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    My 2.5 cents on your scope buy, for around 9hundy youll get a nice vx3 cds to put on your sako!....would be a shame to put sub standard glass on a sako.
    Good advice Neckshot.

Husmari, if your wanting to shoot out to 400 yards, then either a good holdover reticule, or a scope you can dial with (which would be my choice) and a rangefinder are going to be as important as the rifle and caliber you choose.

The 6.5x55 is capable of going further than 400 if you decide you'd like to stretch its legs, so careful choice on optics now will give you more options later on down the line.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Finn, Standard, Classic, S/Synthetic, Deluxe,Greywolf doesn't matter, whatever floats your boat there, but the caliber should be 6.5x55
    As for the stainless or not question I have one of each in that same caliber and it's immaterial to me, I look after then both equally as well.Possibly don't cringe as much when the stainless synthetic Finn gets a bit of a knock.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I've got a Sako 85 in 7mm08 stainless synthetic with standard barrel.

Using 6.5x55 with its lighter bullet (but just as good kinetic energy) the Finnlite would be OK. The whole action is 1cm longer than '08 size guns too so shorter barrl would be worthwhile. For your wife, body weight isn't the limiting factor but due to arm length, the balance of a shorter gun may suit her better.

Avoid the older version synthetic stock with the pseudo detachable cheekpiece - it fills up with water if immersed.. Laminate is quite a bit heavier. The newer soft touch synthetic may be OK.

If you see one in chrome moly, that would be fine too. It s perfectly possible to keep it in good condition if you dry it and lightly oil it after each day's use. Stainless is trendy and has a slight edge in real bad weather if you can't clean it or for high volume shooting but too light and visible in the bush, I think.

VX3 would be a good pick for all round and mid priced scope, probably 3-10x40 or 50. Get a plain duplex or heavy duplex reticle; the Boone and Crocket has too many complications for a hunter under pressure. If your targets are really "small to medium game" you will need a higher power scope eg VX-6 3-18 and if trying to shoot over 200m you will need a dialable scope and a range finder. The vx-6 can be dialed but you will need to negotiate special turrets for a VX-3 (Leupold custom shop). Avoid entry level scopes like the VX-1 or anything else under about $800 or you will be buying again in a year or two. Are you already quite good shots ? Shooting a chamois or wallaby past 200m is quite difficult until you've built up some experience.

Ejected
    Sauer 6.5X55.
    Kahles 2-7x42 scope.
    Set for life.

Yes, if you're going european and cost is no object Kahles would be better than Leupold. Also, the natural scope for your rifle is the Swarovski 3.5-18, with the ballistic turret. Take a careful look at the reticle because it is very fine and wouldn't suit a lot of hunting under deep canopy but ideal for a hare at 300m.

Once you get selective you will have to wait a while for your exact configuration of rifle and scope to be ordered and come into the country.

Advising people buying sakos is like eating icecream

No one has mentioned factory ammo. Factory ammo in 6.5x55 & 140 grn is hardly varmint stuff. And Hornady super performance is too expensive for high volume use.
    So you will be looking at hand loading pretty soon to cover all the aspects of your proposed hunting (under 100 through to 140 grn).

If you don't want to hand load, I would reconsider on 6.5x55, and maybe start thinking 243.
    Neckshot likes this.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

They certainly open some additional questions/thoughts but I am glad
    to receive so many helpful info.

I am not considering myself as a good shooter, yet :-)
    So, all I have to look a little more about is a scope since I have never used one
    and have no experience with it. I have just moved to NZ and hope people at the
    shop are willing to show me a few models. Also, hope to make some friends
    as soon as possible which would make things much easier. And I am not in a
    hurry for a pucrhase :-)

Thanks guys, will make a report when I get an test it.

LpK

Look forward to the results.
    Remember, the best rifle is the one that feels good when you raise it to your shoulder and you are more than content with your purchase. Nothing worse than owning a rifle and every time you use it you are distracted by "what if" thoughts. Same goes with the caliber you choose it in.
    Sales people are generally in it for the $$. Do your window shopping and leave your money at home so you don't impulse buy

+1 on having it sussed, I have a sako 85 bavarian 300wm and its a great rifle