Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Something bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    anything that can shoot out to 800m reliably usually is useless under 100m
    bear this in mind when picking a scope.
    I can prove that wrong
    My 800 setup has kills from as close as 10m . 3-15 type scope mag and you have it all covered. Havent had issues with projectile performance up close either. Just shoot them in ear or neck if your worried

what type of scope do you have? weaver?

Yes a weaver. There are a number of options of lr capable scopes with good bottom ends bushnell 6500 is one or jump up in price point to a march etc

can you put up the specs of your rig?

Id be keen to stretch the legs of my tikka 280, its currently running a burris tac30 3-9 which is good but not great

Kelbley in the US now build the atlas range of hunting rifles (bell and carson stock ,basix trigger, krieger barrel, kelbley stolle action) that and from all accounts deliver on the accuracy part, possibly look at the 6.5-284 norma 1in8 twist 140grain berger certainly enough remaing energy to consistanly drop elk out to the rangers you are wanting and on par with the mighty 7mm Rem Mag. Cost is around $3000 and there is a dealer in Australia but not to sure who that is.

Cheers Rob

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Beat me to it CD. I thought those numbers did not stack up.
    I like the Savage too, but if 1/2 MOA rifles came off the shelf that well there would be no need for custom ones. I think your expectations may be a tad high.
    All up though not a bad idea. The combo you list should perform well for the cost, and would be hard to beat in the price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    can you put up the specs of your rig?

Id be keen to stretch the legs of my tikka 280, its currently running a burris tac30 3-9 which is good but not great
    Id love to add a 280 to my line up (just for fun) my 7mm mag has a 3-15x50 superslam on it, 20 moa rail and gunworks suppressor. Rails not really needed just put it on because had one handy. Looking at putting a new stock on at some point but never seem to quite get around to it

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    Id love to add a 280 to my line up (just for fun) my 7mm mag has a 3-15x50 superslam on it, 20 moa rail and gunworks suppressor. Rails not really needed just put it on because had one handy. Looking at putting a new stock on at some point but never seem to quite get around to it
    Should juat get your 708 reamed out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Caretaker
    [QUOTE=CreepingDeath;96981]Should juat get your 708 reamed out.

Perhaps to 7mm saum (same brass length as the 7mm08) Then you have a 162 a-max @ 3050fps

Also a great upgrade for all those 270WSM Tikka T3s out there, same bolt face, just a rebarrel and the saum brass fits in the mag.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Cheers guys. Wise words and the figures to back them up. I think we can consider my mind changed.

At the end of the day I would prefer to find and know the limits of my own shooting ability rather than be limited by the calibre and be left thinking 'what if'. I would also like to be confident that my rifle will be capable of effective kills at distances close to those given. This is where you're correct in that the numbers just don't add up for the 7-08.

Back to the drawing board for me, time to see what options are out there in 7mm RM or similar and save up a little longer.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post

Iv got the 280 reamer too, great caliber and unbeatable in a tikka package

[QUOTE=7mmsaum;96986]
    Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post

Perhaps to 7mm saum (same brass length as the 7mm08) Then you have a 162 a-max @ 3050fps

Also a great upgrade for all those 270WSM Tikka T3s out there, same bolt face, just a rebarrel and the saum brass fits in the mag.
    Whats your shortest saum? The 7-08 is running a 19" barrel at present with suppressor. Wanted a nice short combo for the wife. Be interesting to see if a saum/280/284 could make much of a gain in a 19"tube (saum would require heavier suppressor)

Edit: by getting more perfornance from the short barrel i would be making my 7mm mag slightly redundant and think i would need to check with gunsmith about if the standard syppressor would handle the pressure of these cases on a short barrel
    Last edited by distant stalker; 21-03-2013 at 02:02 PM.

284 and 280 run the same bolt face saving that issue. and just be a quick ream and reset with a new mag and bolt stop
    buggered If I know what the increase would be tho,

Caretaker
    My shortest saum uses a 16 inch tube, 140 grainers @3000fps easy.

A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Thats sooooo cool

Is that a Kimber, do you have to fire form brass?
    VIVA LA HOWA