Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spotting Scope?

Spotting Scope?

Would these be any good for dragging around the tops in stead of taking binos when my mate has Binos?
    Burris 25-75x70mm XTS-2575 Spotting Scope
    I dont know much about burris spotters but surely it would be ok for the money.

Have a read here man:

The DLOO Recommendations: Spotting Scopes

Ive pretty much conceeded i NEED one of these:

Pentax 20-60x65 ED Spotting Scope

Ilya Koshkin's reviews are always pretty good, you can rest easy knowing you will have made a good purchase if you read those guides.

Chris

Impure Lead Flinger
    from my experience hunting with a spotting scope. Id say you dont want to lug one instead of BINOs.... They are handy to check out animals once youve seen them and such, but unless your on the lowest power field of view is limited and they are quite fumbly to look round the show with and also to setup.....

Stick with the BINOs unless you are wanting something to setup once you have found an animal so you can gauge decent trophy potential or call shots for a mate etc Mind you they are bloody handy to keep at camp

The idea being that we know the country we are in so why take 2 sets of binos when one guy could be checking out the potential of an animal.

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    The idea being that we know the country we are in so why take 2 sets of binos when one guy could be checking out the potential of an animal.
    By all means carry one if you think it has a value to your hunting but I certainly wouldnt leave my binos behind

Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    By all means carry one if you think it has a value to your hunting but I certainly wouldnt leave my binos behind
    +1, how often have you been glassing an area and see nothing, then 30 seconds later your mate see's one in the same area you had just searched.
    what are you going to do when your mate stops to glass an area for 15- 20minutes? binos are a "must have" on the tops, spotting scope adds
    to that

Sit back and relax comes to mind, always see plenty of deer anyway so not a huge issue if i dont carry binos.

R93
    I will carry both but you want a light set up. Stagasourus carries his monster lieca around when with clients. Good glass and light is expensive. They are a must if your strictly trophy hunting IMO

The vortex razor would be a nice scope but a tad on the heavy side.
    Last edited by R93; 09-09-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Yeap R93 is right, if you are a trophy hunter then you should have both, I carry both professionally, and the spotting scope is essential for assessing animals on the hoof, they can save you a lot of walking if you use them to make a decision about weather an animal is big enough or not. You will need your binos, otherwise you will go blind trying to glass country with just a spotting scope. Like your binos, european is the way to go if you can afford it, having said that I have got by ok for 15+ years with a nikon XL spotter, so there you go. Ratio of use: 90% Binos and 10% spotting scope.
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

R93
    What do you use for a spotter now BT??

Still the old XL, bought it in 95 and still going strong, love the Leica's though, got one on here for sale, brand new still in box. Too heavy to carry around the hills I reckon. But unbeatable once you have your eye to them...................
    Light transmission is an issue with the smaller cheaper ones. mine goes to 17-47 but I mostly use it between 17-25, gets too dark at full zoom. The leupold variable was a good one for the $$ not sure if they still make that model..............
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

R93
    Yeah cool. The leica my mate carries is a beast but he doesnt seem to mind it. I am still looking but keen on a light swaro if I can find a deal. Had a look thru a Vortex scope the other day and was pretty impressed with the glass.
    Loopys are getting on the expensive side nowadays