Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Stainless 300blk bolt gun - are they made?

Is there any reason I couldn't re barrel a Howa Mini action stainless .223 if I found one for a good price?

@Bill999 I’m the same I hunt around a lot of water, rain, drizzle, low cloud and fog, it’s too much work looking after a non stainless steel rifle.

We only had 25m-30m max visibility getting this stag in the mountain mist with the 300BLK. Don’t need to see far if the dog does his job
    Bill999, 308mate and wire hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 308mate View Post
    Is there any reason I couldn't re barrel a Howa Mini action stainless .223 if I found one for a good price?
    No reason at all
    i was very close to doing that myself
    Sako75/85 223,204ect would make an excellent donor too and are worth considering when you are looking to sink another $1000 into it
    tikka and 308mate like this.

If you are open to lever actions the sub x line is including 30-30 which would give you a very similar result

I would just cerakoat a blued one ,
    mikee likes this.

The way I use mine I'm seriously considering ceracoating the stainless
    The bits not ceracoated would stain up first use if it was blued
    The howa also has a heavy barrel so that makes me like it less

As a kick about rifle the ruger American is hard to beat as a ready to go option
    Ar mag fed is really effective in that action my hunting mate has one and I always go back to if I would have been better off with one of those with a ceracoat and just treated it like a hunting rifle
    For the money they are hard to beat and from the one I have seen they are very accurate with both the sub-x and 110 hornady vmax
    They cost total what a rebarrel will so are worth a think how much total you want to spend on a sub 150m gun
    MB likes this.

I’m pretty keen on cerakoating my barrel the deer have picked up on the stainless barrel shining on bright sunny days. The thing about blued or parkerised barrels is the bore rusts out on multiple day trips if not looked after. I’ve wrecked a few non stainless rifles from minimal maintenance during trips away. The last thing I want to do after getting back to camp at 10pm is cleaning a rifle after cooking tea and feed the dog.

Iv recently got a pretty well used beretta xtrema and I'm really impressed with the protection factor that the camo coating has given the rifle. They are a hard use rifle done right so it has got me thinking something less obnoxious than camo, but still a semi thick coating in all non moving surfaces

Name:  IMG_4530.JPG
Views: 235
Size:  605.6 KB
    Last edited by Bill999; 01-06-2020 at 11:27 AM.