Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree25Likes
  • 3 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By Beavis
  • 7 Post By northdude
  • 6 Post By dogmatix
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 3 Post By Beavis
  • 2 Post By Rushy
  • 1 Post By mjgriffiths

Thread: Staring down the barrel of a gun crisis

What do you expect from Granny Herald?
    Frankly I suspect the media spin is all part of NZPHQ's plans to push for changes to the Arms Act.
    mikee, grunzter and Tommy like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I love how these hysterical morons go on about banning already registered categories of firearms, and then in the next breath talk about registering the rest. What a great incentive for A holders to register their guns.
    Koshogi likes this.

northdude
    The only gun crisis is I don't have enough money to have all the guns I want

Its also pointless trying to argue on the comments section to the article, you aren't going to change any of the entrenched views (hilariously misinformed and factually incorrect as they are) that way.
    Getting new shooters to the range to cancel out the antis is my mission.
    Last edited by dogmatix; 29-03-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    AzumitH, Beaker, northdude and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

In New Zealand, it is possible to own pistols and MSSA firearms, via a more rigorous licensing system than for standard firearms. It is because of the stricter licensing that we know that there are 36,000 pistols and 7800 MSSAs. All of these are registered with the police.
    Correct.

Although the overlap between an illegal trade in guns and drugs is clear in other parts of the world, a clear linkage is not evident in Australasia as our borders are not as porous as elsewhere. A more common route of direct offshore smuggling is the "ant trade" where guns are shipped over bit by bit and then reassembled;
    A real world example would be helpful.

The most common way for criminals to access this pool of guns is through crime. There are usually 12 to 24 apprehensions under the Arms Act per year of people selling or supplying firearms to unlicensed people.
    Correct. Crime to obtain a firearm. And dickheads who sell firearms to unlicensed people.

Despite this, the vast majority of licensed firearm owners are upright people, concerned about the problems they see proliferating around them.
    Correct.

One of the foremost problems is lax storage standards of firearms in some instances, and ineffective security systems in others. The need for best-practice, uniform, and consistently checked security standards over areas which are high-profile targets for criminals is uppermost.
    Correct.

Similarly, the need for a gun buy-back scheme to try to soak up some of the 100,000 firearms which have drifted away from their original owners is also necessary. Although these older firearms are unattractive to organised criminals, this is not necessarily the case with young thugs.
    Another made up statement. Young thugs get their firearms from grandad who has it in the cupboard ? Really ?

Even worse, there is no meaningful restriction on the size of magazines that can be purchased, nor even a requirement that they should only be purchased by people with the appropriate licences.
    Hate to say it but he has a point with high capacity mags. I for one don't believe everyone who has been buying them just happens to have a bolt action rifle the mag can fit. Some, yes. But I'd hazard a guess most haven't been doing us legit firearms owners any good.

He also stated that the current arms office is under funded and staffed so he go a few things right pitty you have to sift through the rest to get to them.
    Beaker likes this.

I see one of the commenter's suggested that license holders should be charged enough to pay for everything. A fee per gun registered. Renewal once a year. Pay for all vetting. Make it so expensive to be a shooter that you would think twice about gun ownership.

The main issue I see that we face is certain people against gun ownership and their reasons. Many are not in it due to outrage at gangs having guns. They are against the people that own them. The idea of predominantly white, financially secure men, owning modern firearms (or military assault style weapons if you're a retard), and shooting animals and gaming with them, makes these people sick and they want to hurt us.
    It might be a controversial opinion but I am calling it as I see it. These people are politically and possibly even racially, socially biased against us. Our voice needs to be louder than theirs.
    AzumitH, Ryan and Koshogi like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Dogmatix hit it right on the nose. We all need to introduce more people to shooting sports.
    Beaker and shooternz like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

I get so perplexed at the lack of understanding these people have. High powered rifles! It was "high calibre" the other day!

I may need to get some frozen yogurt and calm down.

A double barrel 12 gauge loaded with 3" magnum OO buck can put 15 x2 30 cal projectiles in the air with 1 pull of each trigger! Let alone a semi! But media not interested because its not a "black gun".

What can you do expect take a newbie shooting every chance you get?
    Beaker likes this.

Oh no, my shot gun is black - and a semi!

I also agree with dogmatix, that more people need to be shown firearms, and their safe ( and enjoyable ) use.
    And hopefully this on mass will counter the negative press ( yes wishful thinking.... )
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Don't tell them about the UTS15 - Will has one on the shelf for $2000. 14 shell capacity, pump action bullpup.

Dear Santa......

Just don't watch the YouTube reviews on the shottie. Or do and you'll save your $2k.
    Welcome to Sako club.