Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Storing ammunition

All my ammo now lives in the A cat safe that was vacated when Mr E cat safe moved in. Then I am in Auckland and there are a lot of thieving pricks around. As far as I understand it, the bolts can live with the rifles (mine do) but ammo has to be kept separate, and not somewhere kids can find it. That might mean in a weetbix box, a locked desk drawer, top shelf of the wardrobe, whatever.

res
    I leave bolts in guns, and some guns that practically impossible to replace mags have the mag in them as well. Misplacing irreplaceable stuff sucks and I never want to do it again.

My lest secure storage is e cat level so that may affect my thinking.

As jexla has said there is no need to lock up ammo, I believe it just has to be separate from the guns-hence the separate lock box in some safes.
    I do lock up a lot of my ammo as it just sensible to keep it out of the way, but I also have stacks or ammo cases and ammo can under a work bench-I do plan to buy/build a another cabinet to hold it all as my children get able to open such things.

Storage betters do seem to try and tell some people some funny stories about what they should do-often it's not law but just opinion.

Tldr: it's good to lock ammo up but you don't have to
    Using Tapatalk

i had mine in locked plastic toolboxes in the garage (separate to house). and that was fine. evil tart sure got nasty when i would not list what A cats i owned
    norsk likes this.

I store bolts, ammunition and rifles separated. Bolts are in a locked cashbox hidden in house.
    Ammunition and rifles are in locked separate A-cat safes separate from house. Reloading powder is locked with ammo.

Basically I want to make life as difficult as possible for theives while not too inconvenient for me.
    Leaving bolts in/with rifles might be convenient for the owner but is very handy for the theif.
    Ammo is reasonably easy to obtain if you get rifles with bolts.
    Steve123 and Ranger 888 like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Leaving bolts in/with rifles might be convenient for the owner but is very handy for the theif.
    While that is very true, for me leaving them in is a safety thing, as I collector I have a Lot of rifles that could have the bolts interchanged and that has headspace implications. Can only check what goes with what via matching up serial numbers on about half of them.
    Dougie, Cyclops and Jexla like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Having lost a bolt I keep good track of them. Rifles in safe bolts and magazines in the ammo cupboard inside the safe with separate lock and ammo in a different room in metal box with padlock
    Cyclops and Ranger 888 like this.

So long as your ammunition is stored separately from your A and E category firearms (i.e. in a separate cupboard, or in an army surplus ammo can in the garage, etc) then there is NO legal requirement to remove bolts, magazines etc. I would go further and say that to do so is bloody stupid! Many bolts and magazines are simply unable to be replaced, and after 50 years of gunsmithing and now retired, I am still being asked to try and replace such things. There are no specific rules regarding ammo storage other than taking reasonable steps to keep it out of the hands of children and unauthorised persons. Restricted Weapons held under a C endorsement are a different kettle of fish and are required to be stored with a vital part removed and stored separately. Sadly, many vettors and Arms Officers try and make their own rules! It is in your own intertest to study the 1983 Arms Act and the 1992 Arms Regulations, and their subsequent amendments. They are online, and represent the ONLY NZ firearms law. If Police policy and requests differ from this law then they are, quite simply, not lawful.

Got vetted tonight , was told ammo & bolts had to be locked away separate . He told me this on the phone call a week ago . I read the Arms regs and couldn't find anything to say as much , hence this thread . Anyhow I was compliant , put a lock on my ammo storage box . Im not sure about the bolt removing thing yet .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Got vetted tonight , was told ammo & bolts had to be locked away separate . He told me this on the phone call a week ago . I read the Arms regs and couldn't find anything to say as much , hence this thread . Anyhow I was compliant , put a lock on my ammo storage box . Im not sure about the bolt removing thing yet .
    That shit grinds my gears.

Obviously being able to read legislation is not a requirement to becoming an arms officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jexla and Skatieguy like this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Just FYI my 2c is..sure do what you like personally, lock your ammo box, put your bolts hidden in your cat's litter box, whatever floats your boat. But individuals in an advisory role and perceived power should not be lying about what is and isn't a requirement by law or otherwise.

Implying that something is law just because of personal preference is absolute rubbish and kills the credibility of other arms officers and those in advisory roles.

/endrant

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

With changes to to the arms act on the way, all the nay Sayers had better get ready for a different world, no problem here with locking ammo away, and safes compulsory ,had a discussion yesterday with a guy regarding A cat semi auto centre fires, he was convinced they would all be E cat, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post

Obviously being able to read legislation is not a requirement to becoming an arms officer.

Im thinking Taff is probably right . Big changes coming in. (Even though not in legislation yet )
    And to be honest I had Ammo spread from "arsehole to breakfast " .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post

No you just have to have an A+++ in "interpretation"
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    With changes to to the arms act on the way, all the nay Sayers had better get ready for a different world, no problem here with locking ammo away, and safes compulsory ,had a discussion yesterday with a guy regarding A cat semi auto centre fires, he was convinced they would all be E cat, soon.
    I'm also convinced that they'll legalize meth tomorrow. So it must be true! Glass barbecues for everyone!
    AzumitH, Dougie and Banana like this.

I have my ammo in a separate safe with half my bolts but the tikkas i leave them in.
    Much higher chance of grabbing the wrong bolt for wrong gun I feel.

I used cable ties and nail polish to tell the difference but neither lasted very long so went back to plan a.

In saying that they are in a E-Cat safe too not just a locked wooden cupboard.