Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Subsonic project

Subsonic project

So with us all being in Lockdown, boredom has set in and I've decided to turn my Rossi 44 magnum into a Sub gun. Plan is to cut the barrel to around 16 -17inches so the suppressor is just off the fore end.
    Looking at a DPT over barrel with 16x1 thread or the local gunsmith has said he could bore out a stealth suppressor which he stocks, to 44.

Powder wise I'm looking at Trail boss, anything else I should be looking at? I have heard of shotgun powders being used but not a fan of using case fillers.

I've got some 270gr cast lead HP on the way from @shooternz, I will also use "supers" in the rifle as well.

What sort of accuracy can one except (1:30RH twist)? It is by no means a long range prospect, max range would be 100m, but ideally a lot closer.

Optics I have are a 3moa red dot, a 2x20 Weaver or 1-4x32 Bushnell.

I am also under no illusion that shot placement is critical and that CNS/high shoulder shots or head and neck shots are best.

Any thoughts, recommendations or experience would be great.

James
    Cordite likes this.

I recall using AP70N and AP100 before I sold my 44. Couldn't fit in enough Trail Boss to get anywhere close to 1000fps with Trail Boss.
    mawzer308 and Cordite like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Go for the heaviest boolit you can, and don't worry if they tumble (likelier perhaps with your slow twist) as this is very unlikely to occur already in the suppressor --- even if your barrel is a smoothbore! As you say, accuracy is the main consideration, maybe keyholing should be viewed as a bonus even.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

The twist is a bit slow, but Robert knows his projectiles quite well and will be able to advise you on what work best. And testing will also show you what works and what does not. Regarding powders, fast burning powders work fine, you do not need a filler. Just a light crimp .
    Tommy, Micky Duck and mawzer308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The twist is a bit slow, but Robert knows his projectiles quite well and will be able to advise you on what work best. And testing will also show you what works and what does not. Regarding powders, fast burning powders work fine, you do not need a filler. Just a light crimp .
    Cheers that's good to know, yes twist is a bit on the slow side, shoots 240gr factory ammo very well. Robert has said the 270's should be fine at subsonic velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    So with us all being in Lockdown, boredom has set in and I've decided to turn my Rossi 44 magnum into a Sub gun. Plan is to cut the barrel to around 16 -17inches so the suppressor is just off the fore end.
    Looking at a DPT over barrel with 16x1 thread or the local gunsmith has said he could bore out a stealth suppressor which he stocks, to 44.

Powder wise I'm looking at Trail boss, anything else I should be looking at? I have heard of shotgun powders being used but not a fan of using case fillers.

I've got some 270gr cast lead HP on the way from @shooternz, I will also use "supers" in the rifle as well.

What sort of accuracy can one except (1:30RH twist)? It is by no means a long range prospect, max range would be 100m, but ideally a lot closer.

Optics I have are a 3moa red dot, a 2x20 Weaver or 1-4x32 Bushnell.

I am also under no illusion that shot placement is critical and that CNS/high shoulder shots or head and neck shots are best.

Any thoughts, recommendations or experience would be great.

James
    Don't worry about fillers not needed in the .44 Mag with any of the shot gun powders, Look up loads for the .44 Special for start loads
    I have gone down to 6 grains of Trail Boss with the 270 HP very quiet and very slow 6.5 or 7.0 grains is better
    Going to try 700X when out of lockdown got heaps of it should not have any problem finding some
    For supers 2205/4227 is good and can be used for subs; with 13.5 grains in my Bergara is 1000 fps
    Winchester 296 and H110 is max load only powder,
    Micky Duck and mawzer308 like this.

Use 7 grains of AP70 with that 270 gr boolit.
    mawzer308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Use 7 grains of AP70 with that 270 gr boolit.
    ^^^ Exactly the same as what I’m using in a Ruger 77/44.

It has a 20” twist and I don’t think I’ve ever shot it past 30m as it is a bailed pig gun, but at very short range it is a one holer with 3 shots. The 270gr HP Robert makes is excellent.
    Micky Duck and mawzer308 like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Awesome all very encouraging, what's the approx velocity with AP70 and is it hard to source?

Pistol powders are typically Shotgun powders, your ADI AP70N, AP100N etc. 44mag is a pistol calibre. Lots of load data for those powders from manufacturers. Also , for supersonic, there is H110 aka W296 aka Belmont Action Pistol. A Goto powder for 44 Magnum and .410 Bore Shotgun. Observe the published load data. Downloading this fine ballpowder is likely to punish you in the most horrible of ways. So not a candidate I suspect for your sub loads.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Also if you can find any, Vihtavuori N32c Tin Star. Fills the case well in the calibres I use it, developed for CAS as a BP sub not unlike Trailboss, I find it has a lot more punch than TB. I use it in a Rossi Puma 44-40
    Micky Duck likes this.

I tried ap70but found the trail boss filled the case better with better accuracy,just a bit dirtier,only subs though,And limited myself to small game,lots of fun on running hares out to 60-70m with lever action Rossi with a red dot or open sights,I use 23g 2205 with 240g xtp as my deer hunting load.@ 100 m my sub loads were dropping over 14in lower than my full power loads zeroed at 60m.
    mawzer308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Awesome all very encouraging, what's the approx velocity with AP70 and is it hard to source?
    You will find data for ADI AP70N also under Hogdon Universal - they are the same powder. ADI makes it for Hogdon and it is sold in the US as Universal - very popular. AS30N is Hogdon Clays. AS50N is Hogdon International. Your ADI and Hogdon Load Data sites online will give you velocities against their test barrels. Velocities will drop some if your barrel is shorter. If your on the hunt for AP70N cuddle up to some Pistol reloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    I tried ap70but found the trail boss filled the case better with better accuracy,just a bit dirtier,only subs though,And limited myself to small game,lots of fun on running hares out to 60-70m with lever action Rossi with a red dot or open sights,I use 23g 2205 with 240g xtp as my deer hunting load.@ 100 m my sub loads were dropping over 14in lower than my full power loads zeroed at 60m.
    Still talking 44mag correct? what barrel length? I have the Rossi 44 Puma 92 in 16" with a Vortex Crossfire II 2MOA RedDot on it. Have not done much with it yet, recent acquisition. Love my other Rossi's tho :-)

I’n my 44/77 I use the 44 special cowboy loads made by fiocchi that gunworks sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mawzer308 likes this.