Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Subsonic project

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    For 600 ml drop the velocity cant be 1000fps - Typo ??? At 1000 Fps zeroed at 60 mtrs drop at 100 is 100 mill and groups 1.5 "
    Trailboss gives too much ES for accuracy
    Didn't say the velocity was 1000 fps, Just said it was slow, I was looking for the lowest load for Traill Boss in the .44 mag 6.0 grains would be it,
    And you are correct Traill Boss is not the best for accuracy but it is the easiest for subsonic loads in most calibres and I would not recommended it in the
    .44 Mag with heavy bullets AP70 is better if it can be found.
    ebee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Didn't say the velocity was 1000 fps, Just said it was slow, I was looking for the lowest load for Traill Boss in the .44 mag 6.0 grains would be it,
    And you are correct Traill Boss is not the best for accuracy but it is the easiest for subsonic loads in most calibres and I would not recommended it in the
    Thats good to know about AP70N. Hogdon sell it as Universal. I do a lot of slow loads in rifle with old ICI Nobel Shotgun Powder No 78. In 303B 1000 - 1600fps. Very accurate with your cast 215gn. There's still a bit around from old Shotgun reloaders. Very useful stuff. Big flakes. Work up loads using Red Dot data. Goes real well in 357mag with 158gn pills also. Will do some in the 44mag alongside AP70N.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

How is Hi Scor 700 shotgun powder for subsonics? Accurate?
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    I have a spare full container of AP70N if anyone needs some
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Bugger wrong island would love that, Think I'll grab some APS450 (formally Ap50n), and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I have some but have not got around to using it. There are published loads for it for 44mag, 45Colt, 44-40, and 9mm. Research tells me that 700x is the same powder whether Dupont, IMR or Hogdon branded. It does have a varied production history so if you have old powder try and use published data from an old manual of the same era. There are plenty of old manuals free online at various sites
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

I've used 700x in 32/20 and 310 cadet with no issues same with red dot. Not that they are 44 cal but in my experience shotgun powders are pretty ideal for slow cast bullets whereas the pistol powders, like 2400 don't develop enough pressure to completly burn leaving residue in the barrel till you amp the speed up.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    Bugger wrong island would love that, Think I'll grab some APS450 (formally Ap50n), and go from there.
    Careful, APS450 is not formally AP50n ,it is AS50n which is a good deal faster. If you can get AP50 it makes a very good subsonic powder in 44 Mag. AP70 and Unique would be my pick for 44 Mag however. I havent tried APS450 myself and would like to know your results. The faster the powder used with these relatively heavy projectiles can lead to dangerous spikes in pressure with just minor variations in powder or projectile weight and lube.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    I've used 700x in 32/20 and 310 cadet with no issues same with red dot. Not that they are 44 cal but in my experience shotgun powders are pretty ideal for slow cast bullets whereas the pistol powders, like 2400 don't develop enough pressure to completly burn leaving residue in the barrel till you amp the speed up.
    I'd be interested in your 32/20 loads if you care to share - PM me. thks

Biggest expense when shooting cast bullets especially if you roll your own is primers.
    I never used to worry but as Ive started into my last 1000 I'd better start looking soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Going to try that in the .44 mag when out of lockdown, I use it in .38 .357mag and .45 ACP pistols
    it is in the Red Dot Bullseye AS30 class powders so should be good velocity wise
    Look up loads for the .44 Special with it; the max load will be a good place to start in the mag case
    a 245-250 in the .44 special velocity is 700 to 800 in a pistol, We are talking Cast bullets here the don't build pressure
    like jacketed.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Biggest expense when shooting cast bullets especially if you roll your own is primers.
    I never used to worry but as Ive started into my last 1000 I'd better start looking soon.

As soon as some turn up grab them people will turn American and start hoarding components this time round nothing will stay on the shelves long

Are you guys using magnum primers or standard?and what type of crimps?heavy,light?

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    What’s a good AP70 load for your 280g bullets ?both sub and deer hunting ?

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    What’s a good AP70 load for your 280g bullets ?both sub and deer hunting ?
    Only tried a few loads with AP 70 don't have enough to do serious load development with it but 7.0 grains went well
    velocity was in the 900fps range,
    For full power loads I use 2400, Some of my customers use 21.0 grains of 2205 in their Freedom arms revolvers for Handgun Silhouette
    I have seen some impressive shooting at 200 metres with that load velocity out of a 7.5" barrel is over 1200 fps.