Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Which suppressor? DPT or Hardy?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    That's interesting Maca. It's for a hunting rifle, so after initial setup, I won't get through that many rounds. Go for the SS baffle?
    Yep first baffle SS, check with Happy, I think that is what he does, and he puts a lot of rounds through them.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I have both.

Note the Hardy is an older Gen 4, on a .308. No issues with what so ever, but the continued costumer services thing is a concern, and I have heard a number of catastrophic failures with Hardys. Main gripe with my Hardy is that it has to have a number of holes taped at the end, and I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

My DPT is brand new, I've put 30-40 round through it (.223) and I can already see wear in the first baffle. However it can be replaced, and who knows what's going on in other brands as you can't easily look inside. Get the SS baffle if you do get one. I know of one that blew up but was on a semi-auto used be a professional goat culler.

If and when I replace the Hardy, it will probably be with a DPT.

Also, consider the Gunworks 35mm for value for money. Especially at the moment with the special price.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    I think that the talk of the DPT having an advantage in that you can strip it and clean them is somewhat of a red herring as the Hardy core is machined from a solid piece of metal so is inherently
    more resistant to start with
    +1 on this cleaning suppressors seems some sort of fad around here.
    I once saw a hardy can on a 223 was used for culling from a chopper had over 20 thousand rounds through it was slightly heavier than a new one but still didn't need cleaning that must say something.
    Yup I've had a hardy rem mag can let go on me was fixed up no questions.
    Dpt may have better customer service but that's all.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    ZQLewis likes this.

There is a spray available called silensave from Napier of London. About $10 ish spray it in each end and coats the inside from corrosion. While hardy can be an a hole and have waited 4 months for one of his rifles to be repaired, I’ve had no issues with the 3 cans I have. I have a stealth gen 5 which is real quiet but long. An gen 5 short one have used a lot I like the shortness and is quiet. It’s pretty similar to the asesl5 which is the only can I use now as the hardy doesn’t fit on the 16” 308. All the cans on the long rifles were replaced wit t3 brakes. Have shot a few peoples rifles that I fitted with dpt. All good too. My favorite is the ase though. For ar15 I have a sonic 35 using only 2 baffles. 2” longer than muzzle. It has had shit loads 1000’s rounds and got hot plenty and looks perfect inside. Weighs 200gr with 2 baffles. Not the quietest like that but fine without ear plugs. Great when walking around the hill.
    BRADS and ZQLewis like this.

Not listed but of course I would recommend our suppressors as well

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Not listed but of course I would recommend our suppressors as well

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
    Ase Utra sound suppressors
    You bet - i'll second that

While porky, ASE cans are superb.

I have a DPT that has been thrashed on a 16" .308, a .270, a 6.5 Grendel AR and now lives on my 6.5CM. I have always been happy with the sound reduction and feel the erosion in the baffles is very reasonable for the life it has had.

If you have money, buy an ODL and don't look back. Certified fanboy here.
    John Rourke likes this.