Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Swarovski slc/el bino

Noctovids are bigger / heavier and more $$ , slightly off topic but I was looking at the Leica Ultravids 10 x 42 ,lighter than the swaros slightly , is there any reason why you are not considering Leica ?

I know a dog that started an organic coffee store
    [QUOTE=Lucky;1000091]Noctovids are bigger / heavier and more $$ , slightly off topic but I was looking at the Leica Ultravids 10 x 42 ,lighter than the swaros slightly , is there any reason why you are not considering Leica

To be honest I just got a bit lost in the Leica range lots of variants and models got a bit confusing for this simpleton and everytime I looked into it in shops had geovids jammed in my face like it was the only option.Upon talking to another member believe the noctivids should be in the mix for consideration for the right price.

It can be pretty confusing. Especially with new models coming out every few years.

Zeiss, Leica and Swaro offer three 'flavors' of binocular at the top end. You've got your rangefinding binoculars: Leica Geovid, Swaro EL Range, Zeiss Victory RF. Then you've got your flat-field binoculars: Swaro EL, Leica Noctivid, Zeiss Victory SF. And then you've got your non-flat field binos: Swaro SLC, Leica Ultravid, Zeiss Victory FL & Victory HT.

Then you've got your second tier binoculas from each manufacturer: Leica Trinovid, Zeiss Conquest and Swarovski CL.

There may also be an essoteric category. Leica offers the 'Duovid' (a binocular with dual magnification)....Swarovski offer the 'Habicht' (a traditional Porro Prism binocular with ridiculously good light transmission and retro appeal). Not sure what Zeiss does.
    Shearer and Southcity like this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    I've got a pair of 8 x 32 EL's & they're awesome
    this comment has stuck in my mind, most times I use my 10x42 EL's I wish I had a set of 8x32 EL's in my hand instead
    Philipo likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

I've got 10x42 Leica Trinovids and Swaro 8x30 SLC's, for open and bush hunting, while not top of range both are good glass. I never look through the x 42's and wish I had the x 30s when in big open country looking for game. I do not buy into the less is more theory with binos or cartridges for that matter. I do buy into the law of diminishing returns though. Best to take the advice offered and look through a few pairs that you think are your top choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The biggest difference between them is that the EL and SLC are based on two different optical designs, and you may have a preference for one over the other.

The EL incorporates field flattening technology which gives the image a flat/uniform appearance across its entire field. The image appears sharp to the very edges. The benefit of this is that the entire field of view can be utilized, because you can use eye movement alone to 'roam' around the image. The two major drawbacks to this design is that it's not 100% true to life (the world as we see it through our eyes isn't 'dead flat'), and the field flattening can also induce a 'fish bowl/globe' effect when panning. Some people experience it, some don't.

The SLC is a more traditional design, with a big sweet spot in the middle of the image, with the sharpness gradually falling off towards the edges. They're a smidge brighter than the EL's due to the lack of field flattening lenses, and the overall image is more three dimensional/stereosopic than the EL's.

The EL is also more feature rich, which partly contributes to its higher price. I.e an 'open bridge' design (easier to hold one handed); "field pro" strap attachment system (convenience); and close focus (the 8.5x42 model offers this). Because of these refinments, many find the EL to be more user friendly.

The SLC is simpler in it's construction/design which no doubt contributes to its lower price. But many prefer it over the EL, and vice versa.

Whether you need/want the extra features of the EL, or would be happier saving some $$ and going with the more traditional design of the SLC, is up to you.
    @Frodo
    Mate - you should get a job as a reviewer of Optics and prob everything else marketed around outdoor field use

I have both a pair of 8 x 30 SLC that I brought 30 years ago which I have handed down to my son and a pair of El 10 x 42 at the time when my eyes were you the 8 x 30 were plenty.
    They are great bino super clear, my 10 x 42 are better for my eyes now and that extra power is great.
    As said you need to try both they are both great binoculars but one may suite your eyes better.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvo View Post
    @Frodo
    Mate - you should get a job as a reviewer of Optics and prob everything else marketed around outdoor field use
    Why? I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Why? I'm no expert.
    Thats debatable

Maybe not a “expert” but Logical and clear in communicating your thoughts.
    Sarvo likes this.

MSL
    He’s just read the pamphlet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philipo and Frodo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post

I can't hide anything from you.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post