Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: T/CR22 bolt hold open... why?

T/CR22 bolt hold open... why?

Looking at a new 22 for my younger son who is about to turn 16 and apply for FAL. I'd never heard of a T/CR22 before, anyone got any opinions on these? I like the idea of rear receiver mounted aperture sights, and the fibre optic front sight should be good for night shoots with irons. But what is the purpose of a bolt hold open function in an empty magazine on a 10/22 clone? It's not like a stripper-clip top loading rifle where this would make sense...

Any opinions on the rifle welcome. How does it compare to a standard 10/22?

the 10/22 can be locked open by pulling the bolt back and then engaging a small lever underneath. its then only possible to close the bolt by pulling bolt further back and pressing the same lever. its a pita to be honest. however it takes only 20 minutes and a file or dremel to modify a 10/22 so that just pulling back on the bolt will release it.

i have never laid hands on a TC, but other 10/22 clones include AMT and webley & scott (filipino made i think)
    the 10/22 is great but expect to pay to have a trigger job done on it as from the factory they are heavy and creepy.

@Ben Waimata

The bolt hold open for me has two big advantages - it lets you know the magazine is empty so you don't line up another shot and hear a "click" of an empty chamber and also slightly faster reloading as you know it is empty, change magazines and then just release the bolt back into battery - rather than the 10/22 which is (unless you have been counting rounds and know you are out), click and lose the shot you wanted as you have no remaining ammo, change magazines and then have to fully work the action with a round off the new magazine.

Essentially the action on the 10/22 functions like an AK and the TC more like a M14 etc.

It is a something that 10/22 owners like myself have wanted for years.

There is a company called CST I think who produce a kit for bolt hold open for the 10/22 but you have to make all sorts of changes to the rifle including swapping the bolt out. I have read mixed things about the CST reliability.

TC has done it from factory with a rifle that does it reliably and still takes all the 10/22 aftermarket things like triggers and stocks etc. (Though if you use the 10/22 mags and not the TC ones you lose the bolt hold open - as you can't have more than 10 rounds it makes no sense to use 10/22 mags anyway)

@Tooks 10/22 magazine handle extensions would probably fit the TC mags as they are similar to the 10/22 ones, or he may be willing to make some that do which would allow for even faster mag changes I would think.
    Last edited by 308mate; 19-04-2020 at 03:09 PM.

1) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    2) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    3) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    4) Get a Marlin.
    cambo and timattalon like this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Interesting. I guess this comes down to how we use our rifles. I've had the same 10/22 for over 35 years now, right back at the beginning I got into the habit of keeping the mag full all the time, even 1 shot at a rabbit, first thing I do is remove the mag and loaded round, reload the mag and re-insert. I've shot with people who rely on safety catch and not reloading until their mags are empty, but I don't like that technique (and I usually only go out with them once only). Too many times I've come across a group of hares etc and needed every round in my mag., no advantage in ever having a less than full mag in my opinion, and no excuse for carrying a semi auto with one up the spout except in exceptional circumstances. Also my shooting is more along the lines of 'lead in the air' rather than pride in shot placement, all I'm trying to do is pest control, I've seen hares do $2000/night in damage to young tree seedlings so even emptying a full 10rds (or 15rds as it was) at one is a very good investment compared to letting them get away. I guess for other people the bolt hold open might be an advantage, for me, counting to 10 is not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    Interesting. I guess this comes down to how we use our rifles. I've had the same 10/22 for over 35 years now, right back at the beginning I got into the habit of keeping the mag full all the time, even 1 shot at a rabbit, first thing I do is remove the mag and loaded round, reload the mag and re-insert. I've shot with people who rely on safety catch and not reloading until their mags are empty, but I don't like that technique (and I usually only go out with them once only). Too many times I've come across a group of hares etc and needed every round in my mag., no advantage in ever having a less than full mag in my opinion, and no excuse for carrying a semi auto with one up the spout except in exceptional circumstances. Also my shooting is more along the lines of 'lead in the air' rather than pride in shot placement, all I'm trying to do is pest control, I've seen hares do $2000/night in damage to young tree seedlings so even emptying a full 10rds (or 15rds as it was) at one is a very good investment compared to letting them get away. I guess for other people the bolt hold open might be an advantage, for me, counting to 10 is not a big deal.
    Totally get that. I use the clear magazines in my 10/22 and just pull them out and top them off once I have had a shoot, or I got in the habit of just putting a fresh magazine in after I had shot a six or so rounds off and topping off the partial one later on.

I do prefer the bolt hold open if i can get it as I was personally used to it on my old semi centerfires and I have had a couple of times where I have been caught on an empty chamber with my 10/22 when something has popped it's head up after I have just been shooting (and I haven't realised my magazine is totally empty).

You are right though, it is just what you are used to personally and how you manage your magazines/rifle.

those tcr22s are pretty nice, seems tidyer than my pooger 1022 and the magpul stock is better
    otherwise its "just a 1022" with nice bits added, sort of like a rem700 vs bergata b14

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    1) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    2) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    3) I don't like dry firing any rimfire.
    4) Get a Marlin.
    10/22s have a slot cut in the barrel for the firing pin. Not going to bur your firing pin or damage the chamber.

Cant go fishing at the moment.
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    10/22s have a slot cut in the barrel for the firing pin. Not going to bur your firing pin or damage the chamber.

Still don't like dry firing rimfires.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post

That doesn't seem quite right - how could there be a slot cut in the barrel for the firing pin? Setting off the round requires support of the case rim under the firing pin - a slot would seem to be counterproductive. There is a slot for the extractor claw, and there may be a firing pin stop within the bolt to prevent over-extension?

I don't have a 10/22, so feel free to correct me on this.
    mimms2 likes this.

If you don't like to be hold open on the last shot with the TCR, use Ruger magazines. I believe it only works with the TC mags.
    And they have an integral weaver rail, which in my mind makes them a far better buy than a Ruger.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    If you don't like to be hold open on the last shot with the TCR, use Ruger magazines. I believe it only works with the TC mags.
    And they have an integral weaver rail, which in my mind makes them a far better buy than a Ruger.
    @Bol Tackshin

I heard the trigger is much better than a standard 10/22 as well, have you tried one?

Only briefly held one at GC Wellington. It looked well made and the trigger is a great improvement over the standard Ruger one. The stock isn't an aftermarket Magpul stock. It's a close copy but made specifically for TC, and as such lacks a few of the features of the Magpul. Still it is very comfortable. I'm seriously considering getting one.

My little Krico .22 has a bolt hold open, but just for safety I think at the range as you hold the bolt back and press in a lever, that holds it open. The just a pull back on the bolt releases it and bolt springs forward . Will not hold open on last shot, just a click.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    That doesn't seem quite right - how could there be a slot cut in the barrel for the firing pin? Setting off the round requires support of the case rim under the firing pin - a slot would seem to be counterproductive. There is a slot for the extractor claw, and there may be a firing pin stop within the bolt to prevent over-extension?

I don't have a 10/22, so feel free to correct me on this.
    OOPS yes the slots for the extractor, my bad. The case head is recessed into the bolt head so that the firing pin doesn't extend beyond the bolt head. It is limited to the extent of the case head recess.