Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: t3 .300 win mag to .338 edge conversion

Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Its no big deal to put the m16 extractor, its just gunworks don't want to do it.

Wether you get a magnum donor rifle or not, the bolt face still needs to be opened up anyway, so just buy a 270 or something.

Chris
    If he wants to build an Edge he just needs the std .532 magnum bolt face.....

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    Gunworks won't even build me a 338 lapua on a rem 700.

Not surprised really.

Chris
    I reckon I could get gunworks to build me a gimp suit if I asked. Tiffo would try and sell me one of his collection instead I suspect.

A 300 winmag to a.338 is a rebarrel. Using a.338 winmag T3 you could just rechamber to something like a .338 sin. if you actually want a .338 that is

338 SIN Loads - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine
    Theres 30 odd pages about it on the same site.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    A 300 winmag to a.338 is a rebarrel. Using a.338 winmag T3 you could just rechamber to something like a .338 sin. if you actually want a .338 that is

338 SIN Loads - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine
    Theres 30 odd pages about it on the same site.
    The SIN is just a shortened RUM case right? So that would be Magnum bolt face?

338 NORMA is Lapua bolt face right?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

It looks like the Sin is made from Dakota brass, which has a slightly bigger bolt face........

You could rechamber to 30-375R which has the std magnum bolt face & is the same length as a 7mm Rem mag

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

Yes. The sin started out on a rum with a .534 head but He went to the Dokota for better quality brass which is .011 larger .It ws the guys that had rechambered a T3 338 winmag to the sin that I found interesting. Seemed pretty cheap and very effective.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    If he wants to build an Edge he just needs the std .532 magnum bolt face.....
    Doh, forgot about that part haha

My gimp suit is almost worn out, Abe won't give it back. Group buy?

correct me if im wrong but the best option to get to the 338 edge is rem 700 .300 win mag donor rifle rebarrelled with the bolt face opened up and im there? is there any more gunsmithing involved or things i need to consider in the action?

Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    correct me if im wrong but the best option to get to the 338 edge is rem 700 .300 win mag donor rifle rebarrelled with the bolt face opened up and im there? is there any more gunsmithing involved or things i need to consider in the action?
    The bolt face is the same, the feed rails might need to be opened up, any 700 LA magnum will do, a Rum would be the easiest

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by ARdave View Post
    Just a simple rebarrel.. Edge is a standard mag boltface you just neck up 300rum brass

so is it the same for a rem700 7 rem magnum? just a rebarrel?

cheers for the info guys...project underway

I'm all for needless projects, and modifying/upgrading shit for no reason at all so I'm probably the wrong person to ask this, but why?

In real life there is no real difference between the 2 for ranges under 800 and bugger all for distances over either. Unless you can really shoot the ballistic advantages of the .338 will be lost in the 'noise' for anything under 1000.

I would probably spend the money on a S&B whack it on the win mag and shoot it till the barrel is knackered. In the interim save up more cash and learn a bit about shooting at distance blah, blah, blah.

Actually, ignore all that and just do what makes you happy

Some people just like bling I suppose!

There is quite a difference in windage, and its all about giving your self the best chance of a hit, so I can definitely see the desire.

The 300 win mag is good, but the 338's around 2800 fps are in a different league entirely.

I actually went the other way, from a 300 winmag to a 6.5x284, but for laziness reasons more than anything else!

Chris
    ARdave likes this.

haha i feel what ur saying proudkiwi. and your probably right, but everywhere i shoot is breezy, and the goal of the build was for a rifle to fire 300smks to 1000 + . 338 lapua seemed to expensive . i always feel that bigger is better too haha. as well as the ooooh factor haha. i wouldnt say im an olympic shooter but am fairly confident on long range shooting, and can afford the build so why not
    Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    I'm all for needless projects, and modifying/upgrading shit for no reason at all so I'm probably the wrong person to ask this, but why?

In real life there is no real difference between the 2 for ranges under 800 and bugger all for distances over either. Unless you can really shoot the ballistic advantages of the .338 will be lost in the 'noise' for anything under 1000.

I would probably spend the money on a S&B whack it on the win mag and shoot it till the barrel is knackered. In the interim save up more cash and learn a bit about shooting at distance blah, blah, blah.

Actually, ignore all that and just do what makes you happy