Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: T3 Alloy rings crushing scope?

T3 Alloy rings crushing scope?

So I've heard of rings crushing scopes, but never seen it before now.

My partner just got a new-to-her used rifle and found that the scope tube was crushed by the rings - front and back, both sides, visible and felt deformation. Can't imagine how much force they put the scope under to do it - looks like they did it repeatedly too. There are three distinct sections that have been clamped. Bit of a miserable surprise for her, but she's happy with the rifle at least.

Looks like they're guncity alloy rings (www.guncity.com/tikka-t3-1-alloy-rings-309667).

Is this a common issue with these? Is this simply a function of over-tightening or is this type of ring known for it? Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill and need to stop worrying???

Name:  CAM00252sized.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  160.3 KB

Those a factory Tikka rings . Torque wrenches are great things when used correctly ...
    canross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    So I've heard of rings crushing scopes, but never seen it before now.

My partner just got a new-to-her used rifle and found that the scope tube was crushed by the rings - front and back, both sides, visible and felt deformation. Can't imagine how much force they put the scope under to do it - looks like they did it repeatedly too. There are three distinct sections that have been clamped. Bit of a miserable surprise for her, but she's happy with the rifle at least.

Looks like they're guncity alloy rings (www.guncity.com/tikka-t3-1-alloy-rings-309667).

Is this a common issue with these? Is this simply a function of over-tightening or is this type of ring known for it? Am I just making a mountain out of a mole hill and need to stop worrying???

Attachment 140803
    Aw hell iv never encountered it but can see it blatently . Iv actually cranked tikka rings in the past so tight i could see the ring sort of change colour from alloy to a lighter alloy in a stress like pattern certainly over tightened but they worked for young me wouldnt do it now days

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Yeah that's shit alright, why it mightn't effect the performance of the scope it's not the best.

Like most scopes that Bushy 3200 is made of alloy & can easily be crushed by poor rings & heavy handed tightening, Can happen to every scope from cheapies to high end units, best investment is good rings, a toque wrench & lapping kit.
    quentin and canross like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

I bought a bushnell 3200 from hnf way back, pulled it out of the box when I got home to find the same thing. It had been on a display tikka of theirs and been pulled off and re packaged once said tikka sold. They got it back.... but it does happen
    canross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Also could be a case of 25mm rings, 1" tube... or something like it.
    Have seen 34 mm tube, 30mm rings.. was quite impressive that they'd actually got it done up
    canross likes this.

from a fitters point of view I also reckon its partly because of the design of the rings. They aren't a classic 50/50 split ring design. with those you have the screws tightening straight down.
    With these ones you have the screws that have a clamping force that is actually pulling together. In an ideal world perfectly acceptable but far less leeway for abuse
    tetawa, Moa Hunter and canross like this.

Banned
    I have seen two Bushys off Tikka package deals that have been crushed which is a shame because they are good scopes. If it happened to a Vortex no one would bat an eye
    canross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Also could be a case of 25mm rings, 1" tube... or something like it.
    That raises a good point - I measured them across the widest point and they measured 25.16 to 25.20. Seeing as 1 inch is 25.4 mm, I'm no closer to figuring it out. A 25mm ring set would be slightly oversize and clamp down the 0.2mm, or a 1" set would be slightly undersized and be a tension fit by 0.2mm. I measured them untensioned and detached from the lower half of the rings, so no issues with flexing from the screws.

Anyone have insight on normal ID on a set of 25mm or 1" rings?

Name:  CAM00252cropped.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  95.0 KB

Glad to hear that it shouldn't significantly affect the scope for our purposes.

First of all there are no 25mm rings, there are 1" and next size up is 26mm. I bought a set of 2nd hand 1" Tikka rings off TradeMe and they actually measure closer to 26mm. I will never use them on a CF rig. They are shite.

It's a bit hard to measure them in the unmounted state. Probably get a better perspective if clamped on a lapping bar.
    The tops of Warne 22 rings (similar design) for example have to be sprung over the tube but I have never seen a scope damaged by them. They also screw at and angle.

You could relieve that heel at the bottom as that is the bit doing the damage when the angled screws draw it in. Refit the top halves and I think you will find that the heel lines up with the damage. Semantics I know but they are pinching rather than crushing down.
    Last edited by zimmer; 26-05-2020 at 01:35 PM.
    tetawa, Moa Hunter and canross like this.

Have had the same marks created by Leupold rings of the same design, but not quite as obvious
    canross likes this.

Do you have another set of rings to use Hugh? I have a set of the original tikka rings from the 70's, bloody heavy, but super strong, than you can borrow for a while to get it up and running. PM me if you want them.
    canross likes this.