Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Talley rings

Talley rings

After years of cocking around trying to find the optimal combination of rings and base for a given rifle, I’ve concluded that Talleys represent the best overall solution.

a) simple
    b) robust
    c) cost effective

Work out the desired ring height with the old pile-of-washers trick, pick from the website, track them down and purchase.

What am I missing? Is there a disadvantage I’m looking straight past?
    mawzer308, Cordite and Synthetic like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I believe someone on here was having issues with in particular Swaro scopes being pinched and binding up the parallax, personally I have used Talley on several breeds of actions and scopes (granted never a swaro) and found them to be very good.
    I think if you used an alignment bar and possibly lapped them if required that would resolve any issues.
    As stated I personally have never had any issues with them and will keep using them as they represent a great light weight product.
    #DANNYCENT

Yup, that’s @stagstalker, who I think changed the rings to something else and had the same problem, so not the Talleys?

I’ve fitted half a dozen pairs now and haven’t had so much as a hint of a mark on a scope tube.
    dannyb likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I reckon they represent fantastic value for money and performance. I've never had to lap a set and had zero issues with them.
    57jl and Flyblown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mawzer308 View Post
    I reckon they represent fantastic value for money and performance. I've never had to lap a set and had zero issues with them.
    The elimination of the base to ring contact and associated fastenings is a big positive IMO. That’s where I have run into problems in the past. Especially with the infernal light alloy bases which mar too easily with recoil. Even with milspec ring mounts to picatinny, too often there’s been a tiny wee bit of movement. Then there’s the risk off over tightening. Talley provides a ring specific max torque which is invaluable.

The other thing I don’t like about bases is the rail type - they way it sits over the top of the breech making top loading on the fly more of a fiddle.

So yeah, I’m sold on the one piece mount & ring for sure.
    mawzer308 and dannyb like this.
    Just...say...the...word

they are my go-to these days

do you just stack washers under the scope and then mesaure the stack when you find your perfect height?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    they are my go-to these days

do you just stack washers under the scope and then mesaure the stack when you find your perfect height?
    Yes. Big round ones of varying thicknesses. Make up little stacks in increments of base height as per the table on the website, measured with the calipers. I use electrical tape to make sure the stack doesn't topple off the receiver, and the scope doesn't topple off the stack, and do it on the carpet just in case. Means I've been able to check the clearance of the objective to the barrel whilst making sure the ocular lens is perfectly positioned for the specific stock's cheek weld. Works well.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yes. Big round ones of varying thicknesses. Make up little stacks in increments of base height as per the table on the website, measured with the calipers. I use electrical tape to make sure the stack doesn't topple off the receiver, and the scope doesn't topple off the stack, and do it on the carpet just in case. Means I've been able to check the clearance of the objective to the barrel whilst making sure the ocular lens is perfectly positioned for the specific stock's cheek weld. Works well.
    simple and brilliant, heres me using blue tack like an idiot then trying to measure it after removing it haha

Banned
    The ideal rings would have windage adjustment. Sadly windage adjustable rings are heavy apart from Conetrols and they have their own issues

I love talley's for all the reasons you have stated. My go to rings, never had any issues. Ive only used them on Howa and remington rifles.
    mawzer308 likes this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Talleys are the nuts, have them holding a swaro and no issues
    mawzer308 likes this.

Talleys are great, have since changed to Hawkins though.

I have Talley’s on all of my hunting rifles , for a hunting setup they just tick all the boxes.
    My one rifle that I play with at further distances has a 20moa rail because I need the elevation .
    I’ve never encountered any alignment issues and I’ve mounted maybe 7 or 8 rifles with them .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Caretaker
    Designed by Melvin Forbes from memory

Great design
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I haveTtalleys on most stuff except Ruger and one Model 7 where the holes are drilled so crocked all you can do is use a base with a couple of screws missing. Simple, light and robust.