Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By T.FOYE
  • 1 Post By Daniel L
  • 2 Post By JoshC
  • 1 Post By T.FOYE
  • 1 Post By keengunNic
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By lau lau

Thread: Bergara BMR carbon .22lr

Bergara BMR carbon .22lr

Got sick of waiting endlessly for the bloody marlin SBLs (that are never coming) and splashed out on a new .22
    Gotta say. I'm quite fond of this lil thing.
    Not much to hate. It's light as a feather, it's as pin hole accurate as youtube promised, has a nice trigger. Only thing is that it cycles not so well. It's only had 3/4 of a box so I expect it will get better over time.
    Name:  signal-2022-11-20-17-36-07-613.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  182.6 KB
    Name:  signal-2022-11-20-17-36-40-749.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  176.3 KB

This was 50m (in the rain/headwind). Pretty happy with that.
    Name:  signal-2022-11-27-15-48-51-284.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  71.8 KB
    199p, Bol Tackshin and Synthetic like this.

What kind of cycling issues are you having? Poor feeding from the mag?
    I've been eying the semi auto cousin Bergara BXR but that uses the rotary style mag.
    T.FOYE likes this.

It's a bit stiff and you gotta really rip it back and shove it fwd. It's not like loading a Mosin but I'm hoping it settles down a bit (I'm told they do).
    I had all my gear to take the proper MV and that but it was pissing down. Got it zeroed so I was happy I got that far

I’ve got a BXR semi, it’s extremely accurate with all ammo I’ve tried. Cycles perfectly, have put about 1000 rounds thru it now. The bolt has definitely freed up a bit in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    viper and T.FOYE like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Excellent! That's what I wanna hear haha.
    Using Eley club ammo atm. I find it's better than CCI

Has anyone tried some of that Tenex stuff? The cost is eye watering. What the heck is done to justify that price??? $33 for 50. Each one blessed by the Delai Lama?
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

The Eley Tenex (and similar like Lapua Center X) is top shelf match grade stuff used to shoot in the Olympics and win medals... designed to be highly consistent.
    If you are seeking the smallest groups possible on paper you have to be prepared to test all ammo types and even then stick with the specific lot. Which means time and $$.

But it becomes a game of diminishing returns, you often have to pay a LOT more to get a SLIGHTLY smaller group. CCI Standard is often a good baseline and so is Eley Club. If you can find some SK Rifle Standard (Yellow box) that often gives good bang for buck too.

Personally I find something that balances $ with results - but it's whatever makes you happy that counts!

Im shooting the B14R 22lr and its fantastic for accuracy. Rws special matche is its favourite, tenex shoots good and Eley match is just as good as special match. Im the same, the bolt closure on mine is quite an annoyance which id not expect from a rifle of that pricepoint but its gotten better with time. Ive got about 4000 down mine and it’s getting better slowly.
    T.FOYE likes this.

Bergara certainly seem to be very accurate rifles be it rimfire or centrefire .
    T.FOYE likes this.

I brought the steel barrel version the other week.
    I really need to put some rounds down it.....lol
    T.FOYE likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Probably taking it too far but I put one of these in it:
    Name:  Screenshot_20221206_200000.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  288.6 KB

Took 15mins to swap that and maybe 5 to set the weight nice and light.

Good move fitting the B'nA trigger - Nothing wrong with the Bergara triggers and they can be easily modified to improve performance slightly - Much less hassle to drop in a quality trigger if you're chasing accuracy.

My mate has two B14R's and his new carbon version arrived with all this engraving on the bolt body. This was creating "drag" on the receiver and made cycling the bolt rough. Some judicious polishing to smooth out the engraving improved smoothness dramatically.

Not sure why Bergara would do this as earlier versions of the B14R bolt were unmarked.

Nil
    Has anyone used the .17hmr version of these?

I like the idea on an hmr but the lifestyle block I often bunny hunt on is better for a .22lr.