Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Tape over muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    I find it funny that if you were to ask the same question to a US group they would all tell you to put a condom on the end of your barrel.
    A bit of tape vs a lubed up condom...yea ill take use the tape thanks
    In Vietnam, condoms were issued for that very purpose. They fitted easily over the birdcage flash hider of the M16 and could be secured with tape or string.

I have taped my rifles for many years, about 6" of tape down the side of the barrel and the last inch stuck over the muzzle. Often the column of air ahead of the bullet will flip the tape open. Having the long piece down the side means there is always more if you shoot the end off. Very handy in Westland and Fiordland.

SiB
    Include a short (say 200mm) long length of thread dangling from barrel tip and you have instant wind gauge too. Very useful. I just carry a tale end of a roll of sparky tape w me

Cheers for the advice fellas, appreciate it

Yeah tape away man. Can go ver supressor end too. When slogging when it's real wet, close the bolt on a fired case. Keeps water from finding it's way in the other end. Just don't forget to cycle the bolt before you try shoot an animal
    Been Upto likes this.

Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Been Upto View Post
    Hey guys sorry for pestering you all with my questions, but I have another that I need advice on. Tape over your muzzle? Can you still shoot without removing the tape? Do any of the forum bros recommend using it tape when hunting? Cheers brothers
    I don't leave home without tape over the muzzle. I put it on just prior to leaving and when packing everything up to head off. Keeps all the crap out etc... Just ensure you always take it off when you get back home so that you let the air through the bore and don't lock in any moisture. Also if left on the barrel can start rusting under the tape from locking in moisture etc... Doesn't have to of rained either, can be sweat from you or just general condensation from changes of temp.
    Been Upto likes this.

Yes they do...ask the question in a facebook group etc and you will see pictures of condoms over the end of barrels secured with rubber bands etc..
    Im not sure who would think that was a better idea than tape but most american's will advocate to use a condom and not tape. Strange eh.
    Especially relevant when traversing the foothills of broke back mountain....
    Cordite and ChrisW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dublin View Post
    Especially relevant when traversing the foothills of broke back mountain....
    Lmfao just spat out my coffee bro hahahaha classic

Theres allways a little gas that escaped from round the bullet this blows tape off before bullet even reaches the end of the barrel
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    Include a short (say 200mm) long length of thread dangling from barrel tip and you have instant wind gauge too. Very useful. I just carry a tale end of a roll of sparky tape w me
    This is a trick I have used for many years , don’t know where I learnt it , but it really works .
    I have found the best is Dental floss , it is super light but has a large surface area for it weight , it will indicate wind direction even in the slightest breeze.

Ken
    Been Upto likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

I find it funny that if you were to ask the same question to a US group they would all tell you to put a condom on the end of your barrel.
    A bit of tape vs a lubed up condom...yea ill take use the tape thanks
    This probably started from deployed troops asking their family's for boxes of condoms...."To keep debris out of the barrel"..... But they didnt mean rifle haha.

Then people started using them on rifles after hearing about the requests back home
    Been Upto likes this.

I reckon it makes the first shot quieter with suppressor too...... its been that long since I didnt tape end of barrel its just std practice....take it off before shooting the .223 if I remember but other than that just blow hole through it with great joy. I do three or four wraps around suppressor then over the end...plenty to use once first bit stuffed that way.
    Been Upto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    Theres allways a little gas that escaped from round the bullet this blows tape off before bullet even reaches the end of the barrel
    I think it is more the air in the barrel getting compressed in front of the bullet that blows the tape off. Bit like a bike pump.
    Wouldn't try it with a 243 though. The bullet may not get through the tape.
    Been Upto likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Definitely tape the barrel when bush hunting. A bore snake in your day bag is a good idea however won’t get rid of a plug
    A bit of thread or a lighter to see which way the slightest of breezes is going. Cigarette smoke was the best
    Always take the tape off your barrel when back at camp to stop possible condensation buildup over night

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I think it is more the air in the barrel getting compressed in front of the bullet that blows the tape off......
    Exactly - the air in the barrel is only going to go in one direction.