Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Tasman Research: New NZ made AR15 magazines

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    As always these days its not what it costs but what people are willing or forced to pay. Also dont necessarily blame the retailer, if the NZ wholesalers I have come into contact with are any indication they charge the top penny and insist any retailer they sell to does the same, ie its a racket.

Personally I try and get ppl to ship such obviously over-priced things in.
    Yes this is true. I think what we need is more importer/dealer/retailers. Get rid of the middlemen, NZ is too small for them anyway. Lots of them seem to be "Brand Collectors" who sit back and take their piece of the pie without providing any added service.
    steven likes this.

Competition at the wholesale level would soon sort things out. As long as the wholesalers have a monopoly it will stay as is.
    steven, Tommy and 300CALMAN like this.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    As always these days its not what it costs but what people are willing or forced to pay. Also dont necessarily blame the retailer, if the NZ wholesalers I have come into contact with are any indication they charge the top penny and insist any retailer they sell to does the same, ie its a racket.

Personally I try and get ppl to ship such obviously over-priced things in.
    Wasn't even talking about retailers, but private people who import a bunch and sell them for the cost the whole lot costs them then the new guy who starts goes to get a permit and the AO says no.

the AO has nothing to do with your import permits other than handle them,

hey, if people were willing to put in the effort, it wouldn't be an issue,

at the end of the day, they can choose to pay the inflated price, or they can import themselves, nobody is forcing them to do either.

nobody said it was hard, they're just lazy
    res likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    Competition at the wholesale level would soon sort things out. As long as the wholesalers have a monopoly it will stay as is.
    Unfortunately Digit it seems that some suppliers want to give them monopolies.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Unfortunately Digit it seems that some suppliers want to give them monopolies.
    Yep, its the same with many if not most goods in NZ. Tools, TVs, PCs, software etc etc. This is almost a natural thing for a business, ie attempt to create a monopoly to thus charge a rentier price and fight to hold on to it. The problem with this is many ignore the ability to pay and frankly they seem to have little incentive to be efficient or focused as a result of their monopoly IMHO. Now there is also a side that we simply dont move volume and hence the overheads have to be absorbed by fewer sales hence a higher price.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Wasn't even talking about retailers, but private people who import a bunch and sell them for the cost the whole lot costs them then the new guy who starts goes to get a permit and the AO says no.
    The AO simply cant say "no" without a good reason. Now if you are selling, yeah sure kind of suggests you need a dealer's endorsement. I must admit for myself I have not seen much of what you suggest is happening, but its simple if they are charging too much just get it off Brownells yourself which is what I do when the margin is 25%+ over brownells price.
    jackson21 likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"