Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tauranga Deerstalkers range have banned MSSA's

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    As for Auckland being unhappy with rapid fire ,you can put that down to muppets who couldn't hit a barn from the inside .But can manage to hit target frames .i.e there are a lot of shooters who go there who really don't have a clue what they are doing . So unfortunately the lowest common denominator makes the rules.
    This. Number of idiots I've seen blaze away for shits n giggles at Riverhead. Seems NZDA and most NZ ranges don't lend themselves to people who want to spray and pray (as seen on YouTube videos from the USA) but instead shoot more precision, accurate shooting/setup.
    jord likes this.

P38
    If the RO has no E endorsement then technically he cannot take control of said firearm should he require to.

In practise I would suggest any RO worth his salt will take charge of said rifle should he need to.

I know of similar rules for some ranges so not unusual

Our club has a number of RO's who hold E endorsements so there is no concern, however we have banned all firearms fitted with muzzle brakes mostly for the comfort of the other shooters present.

Simple answer is become a member, sit your RO's certificate, get your E endorsement and become part of the solution.

Cheers
    Pete
    Bryan likes this.

That is incorrect, a mssa firearm can only be possesed by the person with the permit to procure. Even if the Ro has an e cat, they still don't have the permit to procure for that firearm.
    mikee and Feral like this.

I would hope common sense would prevail in any situation requiring an RO to take control of a firearm. There wouldnt be a court in the country that would convict an individual or a club for responsible firearm safety.

To be honest I suspect either knee jerk regional police or regional NZDA bull shit politics in force. Tauranga isnt exactly known for its firearm friendly enforcement management.

Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    That is incorrect, a mssa firearm can only be possesed by the person with the permit to procure. Even if the Ro has an e cat, they still don't have the permit to procure for that firearm.
    This is something I have asked an AO & I just want to try to clarify this wee point.

Absolutely technically speaking, according to the current law the only person who can use, fire, touch, handle, etc an "E" cat firearm is the person whos name is on the permit for that firearms serial number ?

Even if the "owner" of the "E" cat firearm is "right there" ?

The only "possible" exception could be some one with a Dealers licence ?

I don't care if "common sense" comes into play, what does the law say in plain English ?

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    This is something I have asked an AO & I just want to try to clarify this wee point.

Absolutely technically speaking, according to the current law the only person who can use, fire, touch, handle, etc an "E" cat firearm is the person whos name is on the permit for that firearms serial number ?

I don't care if "common sense" comes into play, what does the law say in plain English ?
    Greg

We all know the Law is an Ass.

But I believe you are correct.

Cheers
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post

I talked to one of their ROs today and this is correct, they want the police to sort it, you know two words that don't exist in NZ anymore are " logical" and " commonsense" thank the dick heads that run the work place Heath and safety schemes. It's spreading!!!
    Last edited by Maca49; 25-11-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

*Cough cough* that's 3 words Maca!

Fixed, sorry about that it wasn't logical to leave it so I showed some commonsense and changed it
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    however we have banned all firearms fitted with muzzle brakes mostly for the comfort of the other shooters present.
    Pete, that's the best thing I've heard for a while

Was tempted to reply tongue in cheek this morning that we should rather ban friging muzzle brakes at ranges with top cover, they drive me round the bend

I'll go and hide in the naughty corner now, so KG cant find me, haha
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Doesn't bother me shooting next to Greg and his assorted canons.
    Don't you guys wear ear protection?
    mikee, Toby and BRADS like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Yup, wear custom moulded plugs normally.

When there are brakes around I wear muffs on top of that.

It's the concussion wave that I find distracting, don't mind it in the open, but freaks me out under corrugated iron roof
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Digit View Post
    I would hope common sense would prevail in any situation requiring an RO to take control of a firearm. There wouldnt be a court in the country that would convict an individual or a club for responsible firearm safety.
    I would hope that you're right, but I'm not so sure these days unfortunately.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Pete, that's the best thing I've heard for a while

Was tempted to reply tongue in cheek this morning that we should rather ban friging muzzle brakes at ranges with top cover, they drive me round the bend

I'll go and hide in the naughty corner now, so KG cant find me, haha
    You wouldn't like my noisy 300 win mag then ebf.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    !00% correct BUT thing most people incorrectly believe that if you have an E endorsement you can use any E cat firearm. Not realising you can only handle, operate, or have in your posetion ONLY those which you have listed against your Endorsement via a Permit to Procure.
    FletchNZ and Feral like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.