Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Tauranga Deerstalkers range have banned MSSA's

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Doesn't bother me shooting next to Greg and his assorted canons.
    Don't you guys wear ear protection?
    You're married aren't you, everyone knows once that happens your ears only hear selective snippets!!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    !00% correct BUT thing most people incorrectly believe that if you have an E endorsement you can use any E cat firearm. Not realising you can only handle, operate, or have in your posetion ONLY those which you have listed against your Endorsement via a Permit to Procure.
    And don't for get the new loophole from another court case a few months back, that if you have a registered mssa firearm but it doesn't have any mssa features then anyone can use it as it is legally A cat again. I even double check it with the AO and he confirmed it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Doesn't bother me shooting next to Greg and his assorted canons.
    Don't you guys wear ear protection?

You're still damaging your hearing. Earplugs/muffs do not provide enough protection for muzzle brakes to be hearing safe.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    You're still damaging your hearing. Earplugs/muffs do not provide enough protection for muzzle brakes to be hearing safe.
    Say again. What was that?
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

eh, missed that. my ears are still ringing!!!
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

What Db are we talking here Gimp?

Same goes for most suppressors on most firearms, you need plugs/muffs to be hearing safe, the DBs are still to high.

Obviously quieter than non suppressed but still over "safe limits".

At some stage I need to get my A into G & use a mates flash harry sound measuring gear to test various muzzle brakes sound/pressure signatures.

He has tested a heap of suppressors & the true DB reductions are a long way off what is advertised or anecdotally suggested.......

It gets easier as you get deafer, The noise becomes much less
    Toby, Scouser and Feral like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I'm kinda glad theres no range here, sounds like a bitch. I'll stick to using mates farms.
    BRADS likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I'm kinda glad theres no range here, sounds like a bitch. I'll stick to using mates farms.
    I was thinking the same, never been two a range in my life, don't really sound like my thing.
    Toby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Same goes for most suppressors on most firearms, you need plugs/muffs to be hearing safe, the DBs are still to high.

Obviously quieter than non suppressed but still over "safe limits".

At some stage I need to get my A into G & use a mates flash harry sound measuring gear to test various muzzle brakes sound/pressure signatures.

He has tested a heap of suppressors & the true DB reductions are a long way off what is advertised or anecdotally suggested.......
    Yes definitely wear earpro with suppressors. The issue is that earpro is not enough with brakes.
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by FletchNZ View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Went to the TECT\Tauranga Deerstalkers Range to find that they have temporarily banned MSSA's from shooting at the range. They did not say when the ban would end but it has something to do with their RO's not being able to handle an MSSA rifle if the shooter has issues. I was also told that there are a lot of members that what them permanently banned so it may end up that way. I thought other MSSA shooter should know if you are an before they join up or go for a long drive to just end up disappointed and unable to shoot.

I don't see how the rest of the shooting ranges throughout NZ handle this but since the law has been around since 1992 its nothing new and it pretty sad that they are acting worse than the NZ govt.
    really,... who said all this?
    im a member there, last night they sent out the news letter. (nothing was mentioned in there)
    I have heard nothing about this what so ever.
    you would just think they would tell all the members or at least the guys with range keys.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    really,... who said all this?
    im a member there, last night they sent out the news letter. (nothing was mentioned in there)
    I have heard nothing about this what so ever.
    you would just think they would tell all the members or at least the guys with range keys.
    I'm a member too, I checked the newsletter when it arrived as well and nothing in there either. I was told by nearly all the RO's when I was taking a pistol gripped gun down to the line on the public day last weekend, apparently decided at the last Tauranga Deer stalkers meeting.

A shame they don't stick to their mission statement:
    "to retain, enhance and create opportunities for the enjoyment of legitimate recreational hunting andthe sport of shooting, for the members of the Association"

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I know of a situation where a father and son both have Ecat endorsements and have one Ecat firearm between them. Registered to both licences, with the approval of the Arms officer.
    +1

In the case I know of, its the father's original OZ Army issued SLR he carried in South East Asia, he picked it up at auction years later and is now used by his son as well. With the blessing of their local AO.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I know of a situation where a father and son both have Ecat endorsements and have one Ecat firearm between them. Registered to both licences, with the approval of the Arms officer.

Quite normal, same for B endorsements