Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thermal imaging recommendation: Pulsar Quantum lite xq 50

Evening all,
    I've got a technologically challenged mate that's looking at taking his rabbit shooting to the next level. He is looking at getting one of these guys (link is just to show model)-
    pulsar quantum lite xq 50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-Quan...UQUAAOSwl9RZ7e

Has anyone had any experience with this, or similar, or might be able to recommend something more suitable?

I believe his anticipated use is for spotting bunny rabbits for subsequent spotlight shooting with a 17hmr, range 0-150/200m, open farm country (private land).

All suggestions welcome. Especially keen to hear from anyone who uses/ sells them

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    Evening all,
    I've got a technologically challenged mate that's looking at taking his rabbit shooting to the next level. He is looking at getting one of these guys (link is just to show model)-
    pulsar quantum lite xq 50 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-Quan...UQUAAOSwl9RZ7e

Has anyone had any experience with this, or similar, or might be able to recommend something more suitable?

I believe his anticipated use is for spotting bunny rabbits for subsequent spotlight shooting with a 17hmr, range 0-150/200m, open farm country (private land).

All suggestions welcome. Especially keen to hear from anyone who uses/ sells them

Cheers
    PM sent

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

have one of those, havnt had a chance to run it on rabbits tho. you can make out a wallaby pretty easy to 200m, past that its more of a signature and check it out with the binocs or the spotlight, saw some at 400m that saved me on glassing time on a cool morning.

My friend has one of these and to demonstrate how good it was he brought it along on a rabbit hunt one day. It was just a lazy Sunday afternoon walk, nothing special. We sat up on a rock and looked out over a grassy area where the average grass height was in the order of about 200mm high. I saw 5 or so rabbits with the MK I eyeball but nothing within the immediate shooting range of my .22LR loaded with subs. I have to admit to being very surprised when my mate pointed out two rabbits within 40 metres that I simply couldn't see at all, bedded down in the grass enjoying the last of the Spring sun. Without the thermal camera I would never have picked them up.

The following week we were out one night looking for wallabies when one was spooked and ran towards us. It bailed up in a clump of tussock only 2 metres away from the side of the track and with the spotlight we couldn't see the bloody thing anywhere. We were certain it hadn't got away on us, so my mate got the thermal out. Sure enough that little bugger was holed up under this tussock doing his best impression of a rock. With the thermal he was easy to see... but short of going and kicking that tussock there was no way that roo was going to show his face.