Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Thermal scopes and binoculars

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    They are a poachers dream as they can check if it is worth sneaking over the farmland from afar...excellent for checking if anyone is hiding waiting for them before crossing property...a real pissoff if snapped by DoC or police as they confiscate and "destroy" them...I have a couple of mates that own them and use them, usually on private land but not always...no good saying it is wanted for possums or rabbits as who the hell spends that sort of serious coin unless they after deer.
    Are you saying if Doc or police see someone using one, they will confiscate and destroy? I have never heard of this, can you elaborate? I am under the impression that it is legal to use thermal imagine/bino/scope.

I am not sure why people cannot just use it for rabbit and possums. Not everyone has access to deer. Plenty of people want to shoot at night and want the thermal advantage, and would be quite happy just be shooting pests.

5~10k to spend on a hobby is not crazy. Many petrolheads in their 20s spend a couple tens of thousands on their cars while working ordinary jobs.

MB
    I got my Guide for pigs on private land with rabbits/possums in the back of my mind. I didn't think $2k was outrageous, but it's all relative. If you're on your arse, $2k is a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I got my Guide for pigs on private land with rabbits/possums in the back of my mind. I didn't think $2k was outrageous, but it's all relative. If you're on your arse, $2k is a lot of money.
    I have had all the Pulsar hand held's at some stage over last 3-4 years
    I now have gone back to the XQ30 V Lite - which I got off Trade Me (2 years old) $2200
    It locates all I need - and yes better clarity be nicer - but at least double the money - no
    The reason is I have the Apex XD75 rifle mount scope too and its is real clear definition and that is 4K worth - so I only need the hand held to locate an animal which it still does out to 1000 m on clear air.
    Then follow through with rifle scope
    So both for less than a new XP38 makes more sense to me ?
    Matt2308 likes this.