Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Thermals. Whats the point of no return.

[QUOTE=Ultimitsu;1019644]I am not familiar with thermals but I believe it works the same way as digital cameras. That I have plenty of experience.

Excellent write up there

My XM50 Thermion has the new 12um
    Apparently - it is better than the XP50 Thermion "over" 200m - but the XP50 eats it under 200m
    I have found it acceptable even last night a Hind in the + hairs at 25m was clear and definition was exceptional (no I did not shoot as was waiting for yearling to show but it slipped by without viewing)
    To use it inside 100m as a "locating" device would be hard work - but its not designed for that - its a finishing off tool - a rifle mount Scope.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Yep, great write up. Helps me understand more about the whole system and FOV relative to apeture size etc.

The hand held thermal spotter is a game changer for stalking and the one which most people use in the UK is the Pulsar XQ38f and thats both professional and amateur stalkers. I bought mine 4 years ago for night vision work/vermin control and its daylight stalking use at the time was relatively underused however I would not stalk without it and have driven 10 miles home to retrieve it when forgotten.
    Buy once cry once and here a new unit will cost you £2000 but of all the stuff out there and there is an awful lot of crap the XQ38 is the one to get in terms of field of view and image quality.
    There are draw backs to their use and air moisture content is one of them as is bright sunshine which give false indications ie a tree stump in full sun light but learning to read the image over time helps sort this.
    I can scan a 300yards hedge in the distance in a few seconds and know there is no deer in and amongst it, with a pair of good quality binos (and you will still need them) that will take much longer. You cant see through the hedge although sometimes you can get a slight image if the hedge is thin enough. And once an animal is shot it helps enormously in terms of carcass location.
    Some stalkers will not use them as they are not comfortable with the ethics and they do take some of the skill of stalking away but I suspect the OP has had this argument with himself.

Hope this helps
    bryn
    Fisherman and Tikka7mm08 like this.

the point of no return with thermals..........was thinking thermal tights,point of no return is when the wedding tackle falls out...anything less than that they still good LOL.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    These all shot and retrieved. He stopped hunting becasue he was getting so many.He used to be HB's top pig hunter.No fool.
    It took him 16 to reach that point!!!!?????

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    The bigger aperture doesnt give you more fov, theres a bunch of other stuff going on. You can see that when comparing the thermion xm and xp line if you want an example of fov and aperture size.

Anyways ive got a set of accolades to sell. Xq38 is the model. Bought brand new at start of year and has probably 3 hours or less use on them at the mo. I upgraded to the xp50 so the xq is just gathering dust.
    May I ask why you are selling them? Are the 38s just not good enough definition? That would be interesting to know.