Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Tikka 1980s rifles-anygood?

The M55 is the basis for a very nice light rifle. I've had 2. First one was a 308 and when it was toast I re-barelled to 7-08 with a pac-nor. It would shoot lights out.

The 2nd one I bought off the forum for a Grandson about a year ago with an 18" Remington .243 barrel. It too is superbly accurate.

They are one of the nicest actions around. Great trigger. Just don't lose the magazine.

Here's the 7-08 one. 2 neck shots for the chiller (trade).

Last edited by Tahr; 16-12-2021 at 08:06 PM.
    Trout, Micky Duck and truman like this.

I have a Mod 695 in 7 mm Rem Mag with a T3 barrel, its one of the nicest actions I have had , very smooth to operate. I think the 695 (Long Action) and 595 ( medium action ) were the models before the T3 came out.
    Tahr, sometimes1 and truman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by truman View Post
    Thanks ..what would you consider the right price?
    It depends on how enthusiastic you are to own a wood/blue rifle that won't stand up to particularly wet conditions the way a modern stainless/synthetic one will. There are no synthetic/fibreglass/carbon stocks available for them. I have seen M55's in good condition sell for anything from about $1000 through to $1700 for a pristine .222 earlier in the year, then there are others listed for moon-beams that hold more value for the seller than any buyer so they remain where they are. There was a very good one in either .243 or .308 for sale out west in Auckland on TM in the winter and it didn't attract bids at the $1400 (may have been $1250) reserve. I guess that any buyer trumping up the cash is going to consider the cost of a new T3 or other stainless/synthetic option and would likely go that way unless he had some specific interest in owning a piece of the past. Good idea to get a gunsmith to look at it first, I bought one on here in seemingly very good condition about 3 years ago to re-barrel with a !:8 twist, when sent to the gunsmith it was found to have some some totally unnecessary and very unprofessional modification done to the bolt locking lugs, the seller had not been aware of this and took it back, however I saw it onsold to someone that would no doubt have not known of this fault which would require a new bolt to rectify - try getting one of those.
    truman likes this.
    Just going to take a look around the next bend...

Quote Originally Posted by 38 South View Post
    It depends on how enthusiastic you are to own a wood/blue rifle that won't stand up to particularly wet conditions the way a modern stainless/synthetic one will. There are no synthetic/fibreglass/carbon stocks available for them. I have seen M55's in good condition sell for anything from about $1000 through to $1700 for a pristine .222 earlier in the year, then there are others listed for moon-beams that hold more value for the seller than any buyer so they remain where they are. There was a very good one in either .243 or .308 for sale out west in Auckland on TM in the winter and it didn't attract bids at the $1400 (may have been $1250) reserve. I guess that any buyer trumping up the cash is going to consider the cost of a new T3 or other stainless/synthetic option and would likely go that way unless he had some specific interest in owning a piece of the past. Good idea to get a gunsmith to look at it first, I bought one on here in seemingly very good condition about 3 years ago to re-barrel with a !:8 twist, when sent to the gunsmith it was found to have some some totally unnecessary and very unprofessional modification done to the bolt locking lugs, the seller had not been aware of this and took it back, however I saw it onsold to someone that would no doubt have not known of this fault which would require a new bolt to rectify - try getting one of those.
    Cheers Thanks.

My brother has one of these not sure what the exact model is called but it must be 25 or 30 years old now, a wood blued 308 and its a very nice handling rifle, and still shoots well even though my bro is a bit lax on cleaning it,!!
    Micky Duck and truman like this.