Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By 25/08 IMP
  • 1 Post By zeropak
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Dicko

Thread: Tikka .223 magazine OALL

Tikka .223 magazine OALL

So I now have 2 tikka .223 chambered rifles. The one thing I didn't count on was the very short allowable OALL length of the cartridge that will fit the standard Tikka Mag. This becomes quite an issue when loading projectiles over about 70gn in weight. I understand that there is a way to modify the mags to fit a longer OALL but the videos I watched of this made it look like a quite complicated process with mixed end results. Has anyone had a go at doing this? Or better still is there such a thing as an aftermarket mag which will accept a longer OALL. any feedback on this would be appreciated.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    So I now have 2 tikka .223 chambered rifles. The one thing I didn't count on was the very short allowable OALL length of the cartridge that will fit the standard Tikka Mag. This becomes quite an issue when loading projectiles over about 70gn in weight. I understand that there is a way to modify the mags to fit a longer OALL but the videos I watched of this made it look like a quite complicated process with mixed end results. Has anyone had a go at doing this? Or better still is there such a thing as an aftermarket mag which will accept a longer OALL. any feedback on this would be appreciated.
    Just get a waterman mag from Aussie they work bloody well I have a 5 and 10 shot one.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Tahr, nzspearo, tikka and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    Just get a waterman mag from Aussie they work bloody well I have a 5 and 10 shot one.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    They look great. Importing firearms parts does tend to give me the cold shivers. Shame they weren't available her in NZ ex stock.
    BSA270 likes this.

Did the home version years ago, work Ok but the plastic mag lips kept spreading, rounds wouldn't chamber, solution was to cramp them in a vice and apply heat gun to set them back together.
    Annoys me when I read how Tikka listerns to its users, & made all these improvements.
    The 2, I wanted to see was a longer over all lenght mag & steel feed lips the as the A7 Sako has. Apart from those 2 issues they are an excellently designed & made firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    They look great. Importing firearms parts does tend to give me the cold shivers. Shame they weren't available her in NZ ex stock.
    Have PM'd you.
    Trout and Shamus_ like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Did the home version years ago, work Ok but the plastic mag lips kept spreading, rounds wouldn't chamber, solution was to cramp them in a vice and apply heat gun to set them back together.
    Annoys me when I read how Tikka listerns to its users, & made all these improvements.
    The 2, I wanted to see was a longer over all lenght mag & steel feed lips the as the A7 Sako has. Apart from those 2 issues they are an excellently designed & made firearm.
    The ne T3x I just bought does have a magazine with steel feed lips but sadly still the same OALL as the older version.

Long bolt stop and the 2.6 inch Waterman’s magazine. All done. You can run 80’s from the magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    25/08 IMP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Long bolt stop and the 2.6 inch Waterman’s magazine. All done. You can run 80’s from the magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the feedback people. It looks like Waterman's mag gets the big tick.