Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Is it time to leave the 27 gang?

The recoil characteristics of the 7Mag are totally different to a 270.
    My last 270 weighed 6lb all up and felt like getting hit in the shoulder with a hammer.
    7Mag is more like a slow push.

I know I would go 7mag if I was you
    Tussock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GSP HUNTER View Post
    Hi guys.

Settled on a very accurate 18.5 7mm08 over the dog now which is primarily a bush, slips set up and great to shoot running, good old 150 grain fed powershoks. Work well too.

Looking at open country set up for next years thar and alpine hunts and open country.

Wondering whether to leave the 27 gang make jump from my 270 which is a shooter but ballistically close to the 7mm08 and head into to 7m rem mag territorty?

My personal max distance would be 500 yards. PB is about 400 so far. Is there really much in it for the extra recoil and noise, knock down power of a rem mag? or do I just load up some heavier pills and dial up or use a bdc? I have no experience with the rem mag or any mag or long range for that matter.

Appreciate your input. Cheers.
    I went from .270 to 7mm STW...never looked back...I always reckoned the .270 booted the shoulder more...I was bush fringe shooting and that 7mm is so fast and flat

If you go the 7mmMag , buy a muzzle brake and some good earplugs and then spend a couple more grand on a good scope and you will be spanking them well out yonder .
    Or spend a few more minutes getting closer with your 7mm08 .
    trooper90 and Moa Hunter like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    The recoil characteristics of the 7Mag are totally different to a 270.
    My last 270 weighed 6lb all up and felt like getting hit in the shoulder with a hammer.
    7Mag is more like a slow push.

I know I would go 7mag if I was you
    I love how the laws of physics tend to go out the window with these discussions, particularly regarding recoil....

same stock design and same 6lb rifle in 7mm mag .......now we comparing apples with apples....... not peanuts with coconuts.
    my 30 year old LIGHTWEIGHT poohseventy wearing a suppressor is mild to shoot even with HOT 170grn loads....
    the .308 with reasonable loads a suppressor and limbsaver is a pussy....
    Ive fired 7mm mags with good stock design and weight and found them reasonable......but no huge advantage.

Just get a 284 and do it all in a compact package!

It's the same make of rifle.
    Same barrel length.
    Same weight. 6lb.
    And the recoil is less. Dont care what you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Magnum schnagmum
    +1 , not that I've done any hunting, but if you're asking the question then there's an itch that wants scratching.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I'm not sure a 7mm Rem mag is enough of a step up from a .270 to justify upgrading, especially if you like the .270 as a rifle.

The likes of a 7mm Blaser or 28 Nosler would make it worthwhile

Or you could go crazy like me and get an Edge
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Lively opinions as always. Thanks team. Might run some hot 145 grain eldx loads in the 270 and see how we fair. Could always go the other way and take 30 30 peep sights and reverse engineer my long range aspirations. 😂
    dannyb likes this.

Lively opinions as always. Thanks team. Might run some hot 145 grain eldx loads in the 270 and see how we fair. Could always go the other way and take 30 30 peep sights and reverse engineer my long range aspirations. ��
    If you can get them to shoot in your rifle you wont regret it, I have had nothing but bang flops from 140 yards out to 450 yards so far on everything up to a red spiker 2213sc is great in the 270win, hit me up if you want any of my load ladder info as a starting point.
    The eldx are simply devestating

Lively opinions as always. Thanks team. Might run some hot 145 grain eldx loads in the 270 and see how we fair. Could always go the other way and take 30 30 peep sights and reverse engineer my long range aspirations. ��
    They dont even need to be crazy hot or anything. I had a 20" barreled 270 pushing 150 LRAB at 2850 and smacked over all sorts of stuff way out to 600yds+ with it no worries, done more hunting with that rifle than all the rifles I have owned since put together. The only "downfall" of the 270 as a long range calibre used to be its poor projectile availability, but the introduction of the likes of Berger VLD hunting, Hornady 145 ELDX, Nosler 150 LRAB etc has bought the 270 into the 21st century again. I would choose accuracy above all else for shooting stuff out that far as long as its carrying the energy for a clean kill
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Or try RL17 and 150gr eldx in your 7mm08... am getting 2820fps out of 20" barrel. A bit of reach there.
    Alternatively I recall a thread on here with some load info for eldx and I think it was superperformance powder that was giving some impressive results. So many options!

Alternatively if you want a new toy, go for it and get a 7mmRM! I went through the 'magnumitis' phase awhile back too, didn't last too long though.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    If you can get them to shoot in your rifle you wont regret it, I have had nothing but bang flops from 140 yards out to 450 yards so far on everything up to a red spiker 2213sc is great in the 270win, hit me up if you want any of my load ladder info as a starting point.
    The eldx are simply devestating
    Thanks Danny, definitely dig out that load ladder, would it be worth buying the factory 145 eldx first do you think to see if they shoot and then reload if the barrel likes them? I seem to recall old nz hunter were running them in an 18 inch barrel and reaching out with the eldx 145's so it's possible right, the Tikka 695 270 I have prints half moa all day so if they shoot that would work. Otherwise try some Ryan mentioned. Will keep you guys posted when I get it done. Thanks again. The Rem mag itch has been abated. ( for now )

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    It's the same make of rifle.
    Same barrel length.
    Same weight. 6lb.
    And the recoil is less. Dont care what you say.
    Stock shape makes a big difference. Felt recoil is a lot different to actual recoil.

Its impossible for a 7mmMag to have less actual recoil than a .270.