Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Time for a scope upgrade?

Time for a scope upgrade?

Morning all

Having an issue I suppose most of us come into at some stage. 99% of my hunting is and has been bush stalking with the odd clearings out to 150ish but generally within 50m. I'm now wanting to, and getting invites to go and do some medium/longer range hunting on the tops, kind of 250-500.

Currently have a Lupy 3x9x40 mounted on my suppressed Tikka 308. Does me well, shot me plenty of animals. But again this has generally been bush and the odd farm in between.

I would say the majority of my hunting will continue to be in the bush but want to find a nice in-between as I don't necessarily feel under powered, but I think I would feel a bit more comfortable taking an accurate, deadly shot with a bit more magnification at a longer distance if needed and not just wounding the animal.

Another rifle is out of the question, as of late it's been a mission to get out as it is, so although I can justify it to myself, the boss not so much. However, I am looking at a slight upgrade that would be good for both depending on the situation.

So I'm currently looking at flicking off my current 3x9x40 and getting the VX-3i 4.5x14.40. Any thoughts to this from the members would be welcome, I know there is a multitude of info on here with people far more experienced than I am.

Cheers

I find that 3x is okay in the bush and finding close animals in the scope hasn't been an issue. For me only being able to go down to 4.5x in the bush wouldn't be ideal.

The extra 5x at the longer end would be handy but if you're doing most of your hunting in the bush I don't think it'd be worth the compromise.
    Micky Duck and Scottie like this.

That’s kind of what I’m procrastinating over. Is sometimes I only just pick up the animal if it’s within 15 on the lower magnification. Cheers for the input.

Gone but not forgotten
    I'm with camenzie - I would stick with what you have, or maybe an upgrade to a better scope with the same mag range.

I had no trouble lining up a small sika yearling at 420m right on dark last week with a Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 HD, 9x will be fine to 500m (unless you plan to headshoot them...)
    Micky Duck and Scottie like this.

I have owned a Leupold 4.5-14x and the fov on 4.5x is not good. Wouldn’t recommend it for bush stalking.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    I'm with camenzie - I would stick with what you have, or maybe an upgrade to a better scope with the same mag range.

I had no trouble lining up a small sika yearling at 420m right on dark last week with a Leupy VX3 2.5-8x36 HD, 9x will be fine to 500m (unless you plan to headshoot them...)
    Haha oh mate if only I was good enough for that at 20! 😂

Rogee, cheers mate appreciate the input. Might be worth looking at an upgrade with same mag then. But then I ask myself after hearing that, “why try fix what ain’t broken”
    Shearer and Micky Duck like this.

Got a Burris 6x 2-12x40 if that’s of interest. Ballistic plex reticle gives you hold over points 100,200,300,400 & 500yds.
    lau lau, Moa Hunter and Liam258 like this.

DONT DO IT...Mate....just dont. either save up your pennies and get something newer and higher grade in say 3-15 3-18 or just stick with what you have got.
    reason I say this..I tried a 4x12 and a 4.5x15 both good scopes and HATED them both with vengence..... Ron has a 4.5x14 on the 7mm mag...have a look through it next time you meet up...great out long,suckymoto in close.....
    Ive taken deer out to 350 with my 3x9x40mm and because I dont twiddle n fiddle with knobs thats as far as I will shoot anyway...it would be Kentucky windage past that so rangefinder and drop chart territory..not my cuppa tea.
    knowing where you normally hunt I would say going DOWN in magnification to something like the pig plex Ron has on rossi would be upgrade.... I have actually gone away from the 3x9x40 on main rifle and put fixed 4 power on it..it wore fixed 3x for a bit too.... but that has other rifle to suit it better.
    my open country/varmit rifles dont have more than 3x9 on them...the 4.5x15 was good but really shit on dusk compared to 3x9
    thats my milage..others will have different ideas.
    Scottie likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Maybe a one of these would be of interest to you with a max magnification range of 12-15 power but low enough magnification for bush hunting too.

- Vixen V1 3-12x44
    - Burris Signature HD 3-15x44
    - Athlon Argos HMR 2-12x42
    - Zeiss Conquest 3-15x42
    - Zeiss V4 3-12x44
    - Swarovski Z5i 2.4-12x50
    Scottie likes this.

57JL
    my Vixen 2.5-15x50 scope covers all those scenarios and is an excellent low-light scope with a wide-angle view @2.5 perfect for bush hunting, it also has an illuminated reticle.
    value for money price wise
    Scottie likes this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    So I'm currently looking at flicking off my current 3x9x40 and getting the VX-3i 4.5x14.40.
    I went through the same process and hated the VX-3i 4.5-14x40. Field of view was far too narrow and the eye relief was unforgiving, plus as others have said, 4.5x was too much for the bush. My VX-1 3-9x40 was a much more usable scope and I regret selling it. The VX-3i has also been sold and glad to see it gone!
    Scottie likes this.

Banned
    A 4-12 Z3 Swaro is the scope for you. Will be a great scope for your whole life and only needs to get two extra deer over a poorer scope and its paid for itself ( and it will get you a lot more than that). Otherwise the 2-12 Burris offered would be worth checking out
    I used a 4x32 Kahles for a long time and never found 4x too much in the bush. Good rifle fit and good quality optics makes a big difference
    chainsaw and Scottie like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have owned a Leupold 4.5-14x and the fov on 4.5x is not good. Wouldn’t recommend it for bush stalking.
    It's even worse at 14x
    Gibo, Shearer, Scottie and 1 others like this.

This guy is kinda old school but he also knows what's what mostly..worth your patience listening to him on what scope.

No 7 in the vid list

https://archive.org/details/GunBlue490
    Scottie likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I would look at a vx5 2 - 10x44
    Better glass so will be able to shoot at animals at distance much better plus it will have better fov then what you have now a 2x

In saying that i have a credmore with a vx3i 2.5-10 and shoot gongs at 850 with it with out an issue
    lots of people have way more zoom on top then they actually require in the field
    Dama dama and Scottie like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"