Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch NZGR


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Too many questions!!

  1. #16
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    Will be going down this road soon,lighter rifle=more recoil.I knew this of course.
    It is not unmanageable to shoot but I am out of practice and it is lively so I think the brake would help me with practice(I need some...ok lots)
    I am not putting a suppressor on a 25 inch barrel as a permanent solution and I am not shortening it as I may as well go back to 308 if I did that.

    I see me using a brake on the range and sitting on a lr spot but otherwise just bare for my usual hunting.

    Your situation may differ
    Last edited by veitnamcam; 25-09-2017 at 07:58 PM.
    gadgetman and stug like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  2. #17
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,841
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Except you have break some of the laws of physics to make this happen, or do what most people do and just push the pressure up.
    Not that it probably matters too much in a hunting rifle but hotter and faster powders aid in decreasing barrel life/erosion when used to defy physics.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  3. #18
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not that it probably matters too much in a hunting rifle but hotter and faster powders aid in decreasing barrel life/erosion when used to defy physics.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    And brass life probably moreso
    R93 likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  4. #19
    Member sneeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nelson/marlborough
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Not that it probably matters too much in a hunting rifle but hotter and faster powders aid in decreasing barrel life/erosion when used to defy physics.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I can read that two ways. Aid in decreasing barrel life or decreasing erosion? they are mutually exclusive. or decreasing barrel erosion thereby extending barrel life?
    Some people are like slinkys,basicly useless but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs

  5. #20
    R93
    R93 is offline
    Member R93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Westland NZ, PNG
    Posts
    11,841
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    I can read that two ways. Aid in decreasing barrel life or decreasing erosion? they are mutually exclusive. or decreasing barrel erosion thereby extending barrel life?
    Now I am confused! Safe to say I meant that it is not normally a good practice.
    It should be obvious by now my grasp on written English is poor at best

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    sneeze likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

  6. #21
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,352
    With a big efficient cartridge you should hold relativity over a smaller one as you shorten the barrel. So as you get shorter (for instance) a 300 mag doesn't drop back to 308 performance at the same barrel length.

    My 300saum with a 20" barrel is streets ahead of 30-06 at the same barrel length. At 20" it maintains the relative advantage it had at 24" (at 20" it tosses 165 grn projectiles out at 3,100 fps). No 30-06 could do that.

    Does that make sense?

  7. #22
    Member sneeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nelson/marlborough
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Now I am confused! Safe to say I meant that it is not normally a good practice.
    It should be obvious by now my grasp on written English is poor at best

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”


    ― Alan Greenspan
    veitnamcam, Pengy and timattalon like this.
    Some people are like slinkys,basicly useless but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs

  8. #23
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    16,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    With a big efficient cartridge you should hold relativity over a smaller one as you shorten the barrel. So as you get shorter (for instance) a 300 mag doesn't drop back to 308 performance at the same barrel length.

    My 300saum with a 20" barrel is streets ahead of 30-06 at the same barrel length. At 20" it maintains the relative advantage it had at 24" (at 20" it tosses 165 grn projectiles out at 3,100 fps). No 30-06 could do that.

    Does that make sense?
    Yes a bigger case should perform better than a smaller in the same barrel lenght, I think the point @sneeze was making is the best powder for velocity/pressure is the best powder for velocity/pressure regfardless of a few inches of barrel so "getting it back" with a faster powder means higher pressures.
    sneeze likes this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

    Chicken Intolerant.

  9. #24
    Member Tahr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,352
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes a bigger case should perform better than a smaller in the same barrel lenght, I think the point @sneeze was making is the best powder for velocity/pressure is the best powder for velocity/pressure regfardless of a few inches of barrel so "getting it back" with a faster powder means higher pressures.
    Yeah I understand that (now you have explained and I've thought about it), and to get the velocity that I've claimed back means I'm using buckets of N550 and R17 which no doubt is eroding the barrel's innards quite quickly.
    veitnamcam likes this.

  10. #25
    Member sneeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nelson/marlborough
    Posts
    2,255
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yes a bigger case should perform better than a smaller in the same barrel lenght, I think the point @sneeze was making is the best powder for velocity/pressure is the best powder for velocity/pressure regfardless of a few inches of barrel so "getting it back" with a faster powder means higher pressures.
    Yes thats it. I don't know where the idea that shorter barrels are better with faster powders comes from, you see/hear it quite often, but in terms of velocity its a myth.
    Some people are like slinkys,basicly useless but they make you smile when you push them down the stairs

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 7mm eld-X questions
    By yerimaginaryM8 in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-09-2017, 10:35 AM
  2. 284 questions
    By Nick-D in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-09-2017, 04:40 PM
  3. QUESTIONS
    By Cody.a in forum Archery
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-04-2016, 03:21 PM
  4. .270 cal questions
    By Chris in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 27-04-2015, 10:25 AM
  5. Can Questions
    By Nick-D in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!