Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Torqueing screws for cheapskates

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    For those who want a laugh at my expense, the experiment worked perfectly. The theory was sound...apart from the Allen key pinging out of the screws at about 1.6 Newtons no matter what support I gave the axis. Twas too loose a fit to take the full 5kg. I torqued 2 screws this way then used hand tightening for the other 6 based on what felt like 5kg of force on the 41mm mark (assisted by the kitchen scales to get the approximate force). If anything, they're probably underdone.

Like I always tell my kids, there's nothing like the right tool for the job. So regardless of my results I'm still right.

Always identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss and I will be missed

My offer still stands, and includes bore sighter as well. I put it out there because judging by the content of the thread thus far, there is a high chance you will be second guessing yourself at every accuracy step going forward.
    Shearer, dannyb and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Torque, torque, torque. Why doesn't somebody just do something!
    ya right gundoc - ya not exactly fitting head back on a bloody lamborghini V10 when one is putting a scope on -
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    ya right gundoc - ya not exactly fitting head back on a bloody lamborghini V10 when one is putting a scope on -
    Exactly!
    Never knew a torque wrench was needed for a firearm until I joined this forum.

Cylinder heads, main bearings etc l, flywheels I knew about but on a rifle???
    Micky Duck likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

A torque wrench only measures the force required to turn a screw or bolt and has nothing to do with how tight it is. Tight threads, dirt, damaged threads all effect how tight the screw is. That’s why head bolts are “torqued to yield” ie turned a set angle.
    I would recommend a torque wrench to someone who can’t feel a screw is tight.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.