Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Two Leupold Questions, CDS, Freedom vs. VX3i

flame coming but I feel that for the money the entry level freedom, vx2 and even into the VX3 ranges they are over priced. You are paying for the name and the lifetime warranty.

What power range and lense size are you looking at? Gives us an idea of budget for alternatives.
    my go to alternative is out of production now but there are a number of alteratives bands etc.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_index_reviews.htm

manufactures always bring out new updates but the basics stay, glass, coatings and mechanics.
    Z
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZQLewis View Post
    flame coming but I feel that for the money the entry level freedom, vx2 and even into the VX3 ranges they are over priced. You are paying for the name and the lifetime warranty.

What power range and lense size are you looking at? Gives us an idea of budget for alternatives.
    my go to alternative is out of production now but there are a number of alteratives bands etc.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/scopes_index_reviews.htm

manufactures always bring out new updates but the basics stay, glass, coatings and mechanics.
    Z
    A very important point on price, they are a USA made brand, not coming out of some slave labour sweatshop in Asia.

Any company that exports production to take advantage of somewhere with cheap labour should be taxed back whatever surplus they made from not employing locals.

Was very happy that when my second-hand MK4 got send in for repair they overhauled the internals and illumination, but kept the parts that were fine like turrets and scope body, recycle instead of replacement, much more sustainable buisness model!

Vx3i are said to have better low light performance than previous models.
    Saying that they are superseded and I had one new one sitting in the cupboard for sometime.
    I just mounted it on a lightweight rifle.

I doubt it will have the low light performance of my European scopes but different glass, coating s and objectives.
    In low light there will be very noticeable differences in various models.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    I have found the Bushnel scopes are consistently better than Leupolds dollar for dollar in low light. Well worth looking through (at).

MB
    I have a VX3i. The shop which must not be named was knocking them out crazy cheap a little while ago. The main criticisms they seem to get is that the FOV is small and the eye relief is limited. Definitely noticed the latter, but as an occasional weekend warrior, I can live with it.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have a freedom 3-9x40 and a 3i 2.5-8x36, both non-cds but the 3i has a S1 dial added (dial won’t fit the freedom).
    I prefer the 3i, nice and compact, the dial works spot on. The freedom looks more budget, but I have no complaints about performance, I’ve even hit steel at 860m first shot by manually dialing what Strelok told me to (23 moa up from memory, so nearly twice around). The freedoms cost a lot more now than what I paid, but most stuff does, if you can get it!

Thanks for all the replies.
    Putting a bit more context behind my original post, and in doing so, most likely opening a can of worms.
    I have a 22 in my cabinet that is currently unscoped, which I want to remedy and contemplating a scope shuffle. I currently have a Nikkon 3-9, SWFA x10 and Diamondback 4-12, and owned and passed on much older Leupolds in the past.
    My rifles are a 270, which has the SWFA fitted (and also considering re-stocking), a 6.5CM has the Diamondback (my current go-to combination as it's a nice lightweight set-up), with two 22's one of which has the Nikkon. My thoughts were to put something new on the 6.5CM, put the Diamondback on the 270, and SWFA on the 22, which is a very accurate rifle and would create a great training platform for my young critter.
    I rate the Diamondback glass for the price and also own a pair of Diamondback binos.
    Bush hunting is a rarity. Typically shots are between 50m, and I am only confident in taking shots out ~300m. However, I like having more magnification than less, e.g. up to x12 or x14 max.
    I like the notion of being able to dial a solution using the CDS function by simply taking a range, rather than having to determine a solution and apply a holdover, which I currently do.
    I like the look of the fixed turret 3-12 magnification range that Vixen offers but know little of Vixen. Bushnell offers the same magnification, but it has exposed windage and elevation turrets and is heavy.
    I am only interested in objective lens sizes, around 40mm.
    I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but the Freedom series look and feel cheap, especially for the price. Ideally, my budget would be around $1k.
    I've looked through a lot of scopes during daylight hours outside retailers. However, using this method to compare change of light characteristics becomes problematic, particularly around this time of the year due to retail vs. sunrise and sunset hours.
    I've bound to have missed something or not conveyed my rationale fully.
    Just considering and weighing up my options.
    Again thanks in advance.

P.S. I haven't listed all the options I have been looking at, as otherwise, my previous post would have turned into War and Peace.

Cheers.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@steadwah - check out the VXR patrol just listed for sale on here

Cheers, but am after a 25mm tubed scope, don’t want to have to fork out another set of rings too.

@steadwah I think you would be well served by a vx3hd cds-zl (3.5-10 or 4.5-14)

With all the options out there it’s easy to over think things, but Leupolds are always a safe bet in terms of reliability, glass quality, a good warranty, and decent value for money. I had a vx2 with cds and currently have a vx6 cds-zl and I can’t fault the dialling. I’ve also found Leupold glass at low light to be more than adequate, my vx6 is exceptional and my older vx3 is also very good.

Apart from comparing a bunch of scopes at last light, a good test of a scope’s low light ability is to spot game at dusk with a pair of binos with alpha-level glass, and then see if the animal is still shootable through the scope. The vx6 has no problem in this department, and the vx3 is pretty good too
    veitnamcam likes this.

as someone else noted have a look at the Vixen line of scope. Japanese made by a telescope company. When Nikon stopped manufacturing scopes I got a cheap Vixen V1 series 4-16x44 for my son's 223. About the price of a Freedom but feels much better. They also have a V11 and V111 series but they are heading over the $1000 mark.
    NB I have 2 Nikon Monarch 3's, Burris Euro Diamond, Vixen V1 and a 1980's Nikko Sterling so I'm guess I'm not a high end scope connoisseur.
    Z

I've got a VX3 1.5-5x20 on a .308 and a Freedom 1.5-4x20 on a .22WMR. The VX3 certainly has better image definition, not only in low light, but overall IMO.