Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Value of Brno Model 2 with leupold scope?

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    depends . . . a value for insurance purposes vrs what you could get realistically for it this time of year if
    you wanted to sell, the difference is huge.
    Spot on, it's a buyers market at the moment. Lots of potential bargains around with people paying off Christmas bills.
    Nice if you have the money to pick and choose.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Also of note mine doesn't have chequering on the forend
    Attachment 81006
    What year is that Ryan
    Thought I had a goodin
    Someone done a big/g8 job on the wood finish !!!

I see your partly answered it above that post
    Does it still have a year marking ?? Yours I mean

So I just did some reading on a European forum and it goes like this (if I understand correctly)

Brno started making the model 2 in 1956

In 1967 CZ took over manufacturing but rifles were still marked Brno.

1974 CZ began making the 452 whilst still producing the model 2 but it was now called the 2E with some slight changes but still marked as a Brno.

After this time the CZ-Brno relationship became so complicated it is anyone's guess who manufactured what and is beyond the comprehension of most.

Mine is a 2E and is marked 1986, I liked the look of them for a long time (They are what the Norinco JW rifle copied, of course a lot more refined than a norinco though) and when I saw this one for sale I just had to have it, I paid $750 for it which some may say is a lot for a used 80s bolt action 22 but it is a brilliant little rifle with a really nice action and trigger and shoots lights out tiny little groups

So to the original poster if your rifle is a Model 2 (not a 2e) then it would be pre 80s and possibly have decent value to somebody.

Good info Ryan
    Just looked at mine - I thought it was 79 - buts its 89
    I paid 600 4-5 years ago which was big money then - but like you liked the feel etc and has difinatly not disapointed me - lovely shooter
    Was owned by a cop (or ex cop) down your way actually
    Model 2e

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    The stock has been chequered on the fore-end which was not standard.
    Hmmm mine has the same chequering and same wood ( a little scruffier though ). Will get a photo later on
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Your 2E looks in beautiful condition Ryan.

You pretty much got it right about Brno/CZ. When CZ took over from Brno in late 67 they continued to use Brno parts until the inventory ran out and then they started to produce their own under the Brno label. The early CZ completely made rifles weren't too crash hot and were quite a bit more rough in their metal finishing. The barrels still shot okay although some claim they weren't as accurate as the earlier Brno made rifles.

The CZ Model 2 is the made to the same design as the Brno ZKM 452. The Model 2-E is still pretty much exactly the same except for some stock changes such a hogs back shaped butt instead of the earlier straight sloping butt Brno M2, no detent ball in the root of the bolt handle and a slight change to the ejection port.

CZ upgraded their machinery and QC in the early 80's and started to produce some really nicely finished rifles.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hmmm mine has the same chequering and same wood ( a little scruffier though ). Will get a photo later on
    There was a special edition made with checkering on the fore end but can't recall the year and exact details.

I used to collect Brno rimfire rifles but that was a while ago now.

I sold my Model 2E in a fit of stupidity about 2004, but it was anything but original rear sight was removed, remaining step was turned off barrel and barrel shortened to 16 inches, threaded and re-blued. Shot like a demon and i would buy it back if I could find it.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Just a few sold lately
    1980 model2 bare gun not threaded $699.99
    1980 action 1981 barrel,model 2, bare gun not threaded wear on bluing $600 , sold last week
    1956 model 2 vgc , original scope,rings,sling, receipt, spent last 40yrs in a gun safe, rust mark on trigger guard $750 sold very quickly
    collecters want unthreaded guns, if they use a silencer it will be a silent kill model
    von tempsky fan likes this.

As soon as you fuck with it the value to a collector is gone , I only use silent kill suppressors for this reason .

I have one made in 1963 according to the date stamp on barrel,it is threaded but I think I got a bargain for once from humping and fishing,not the fancy stock though,think it was the “farmers” model,shoots well and nice trigger compared to the chopped jw15 I have...prefer the 10/22 now though..
    10-Ring likes this.

My Brno Mod 5 had similar light wood, I think it's beech rather than walnut.

Here is a chart giving some guidance. It is not complete in detail by any means as there appeared to be variations with some rifles made on certain dates having different styles of chequering and also the multi groove barrels popping up on later rifles.

As already posted CZ took over from the BRNO company of the Models 1 and 2s around 1967. BRNO engineers continued for a short overlap. The original BRNO company ceased to exist although that is murky too. CZ did initially use parts left over from BRNO. There was a decline in quality for a period after CZ took over. The later years saw improved quality and the likes of the 2e is a fine rifle.

The rifles continued to display the BRNO moniker even though they were being produced by an entirely different company. This was some commie govt thing I think. Again, that period was pretty murky to the outside world.

So, when someone lists a rifle say for example dated 1987, on Tardme claiming it to be a BRNO it is not, it is a CZ. Likewise I have seen the odd Zastava listed as a BRNO.

One of the worst rifles I have owned was a 455, I got a real lemon. One of the nicest rifles I own us a BRNO Mod 1.

Name:  Brno 22 Models.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  1.03 MB
    10-Ring and Lucky like this.

Good info there @zimmer , yes I would say 6-700ish is about right , my Model 1 was made in 1954 and would never part with it , trigger isn't the best on the 1's but you get used to it