Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

Id atleast wreck something before going to see jim

I've recently been after a new 223 as well so looked at a coupe of these.

The Zatsava I handled was finished terribly. They got a good write up in the latest guns and hunting mag, but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a rifle that felt so cheap.

I really like the Howa's I handled. If I were you I'd go for a stainless one of them. $999 with a scope, bag etc is a pretty damn good deal. Apparently the threading for the supressor wont work on most of the nz suppressors. I am not sure if that's bollocks or not so the guy at the gun store could try to sell me a more expensive rifle

In the end I coughed up extra and went with a Savage model 14 classic. Bit more money, but it's worth it.

Re: Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

The thread work with most supressors had a dan can and a gunworks. But any competent manafacturer can thread their supressor to fit

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    I've recently been after a new 223 as well so looked at a coupe of these.The Zatsava I handled was finished terribly. They got a good write up in the latest guns and hunting mag, but I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a rifle that felt so cheap.I really like the Howa's I handled. If I were you I'd go for a stainless one of them. $999 with a scope, bag etc is a pretty damn good deal. Apparently the threading for the supressor wont work on most of the nz suppressors. I am not sure if that's bollocks or not so the guy at the gun store could try to sell me a more expensive rifle In the end I coughed up extra and went with a Savage model 14 classic. Bit more money, but it's worth it.
    Gun works can whent straight on mine
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    $999 with a scope, bag etc is a pretty damn good deal.
    Its decent enough, but when you can get a Savage+Weaver combo (though not in stainless) for the same money at the moment I wouldn't be very tempted by the Howa+Nikko.

Re: Vanguard vs Zastava vs Howa

Sorry but savages arent my cupa tea ive owned both and the howa has it as far as im concearned. But to be fair it was a weather warrior. The barrel nuts do nothing for me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Just the look of it? The new ones have a smooth/streamlined barrel nut now.

finally after much deliberation have gone with the howa, locals have been real good and have swapped out nikko scope and crapass gunbag for banner scope not the flashest i know but a small step up, they have even matched gunworks trademe price of 950 so pretty happy with that.......i didnt want to risk buying a gun i couldnt feel, and then not like it.... not gonna throw a can on straight away but wanted the option.....like the whole feel of the rifle and it comes to the shoulder and eye easy.... thanks for all ur input has been great...
    cheers Matt
    ARdave likes this.

Good choice matt sorry I could not text back yesterday I was at winz when you sent the message through about going for the howa, good that they swapped out the nikko for a bushnell banner I had one for a while and loved it.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals