Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Vixen optics

Sorry to drag up an old thread... But I thought that adding to a current one would be better than starting a new one. Anymore real world practical hunting updates on the Vixen scopes? I'm not far off pulling the trigger on one of the 25mm tube models.... Any new info would be awesome! Thanks!

mine V1 3-12 is still running well on my 25 cal - the extra power above 9x is really handy on long range wallabies.

BB
    Shearer and bumblefoot like this.

Awesome scopes. I got the 4-16 with bdc on my EM-332. It looks and feels spot on and isn't too much scope for the rifle. It has parallax adjustment which you don't see in Leupold scopes even closer to that price range, and the glass is super clear from edge to edge. Altogether one of the better deals to be had.

I have a vii, I had realistic but hopeful expectations.. it exceeded them.
    I can't speak much to the vi series, i glanced through one briefly & from memory it seemed clear & bright, i liked the eye box on it.
    if i'm being picky, i think the coating could be tougher, but i wrap mine anyway(for the bush).
    They are very good value imho.
    bumblefoot likes this.

targex
    Great scopes, especially for the money. I bought a 4-16 & liked it so much that I bought another one when I needed it.
    My brother got one the other day after using mine.
    I put mine in solid rest where it couldnt move & cranked the dials every which way back & forth. It tracked perfectly right through the range of adjustment coming back to a perfect "zero" each time.
    Nice sized scopes to have on a hunting rifle too.
    Hope this helps.
    Barefoot, bumblefoot, 57jl and 3 others like this.

Thank you everybody. Last year or so I was looking at Leupold Crossfires and they were around the $480-90 mark. $629 now! That's one heck of a price rise in a short time. And I was only looking at a bog standard 3-9x40... Makes the Vixens incredibly attractive if they are as good s the users here have found.

i was looking at maybe putting a lighter scope on my rifle(than my 'heavy' vii). the leupold is the lightest but the vixen is better value.(i compared a similar leupold directly with a vi & it was an immediate no brainer.) anyway.. After comparing/calculating the specs real closely of the vi 3-12x40 to the vi 4-16x44 the 3-12 outperforms the 4-16 in almost EVERY category(price, weight, field of view, exit pupil(lowlight performance), eye relief, lower profile etc. & technically even potentially clarity due to the generally thinner lenses utilised for lower magnification.) EXCEPT 2 things - less magnification(12 vs 16 for either greater target detail or bringing a distant target closer) & No parallax adjustment. those last 2 things may be a deal breaker depending on your needs. if i was a longer range shooter i'd get the 4-16. but i'm not. i came to the conclusion the 3-12x40 is the sweet spot, but in the end i just couldn't bring myself to part with my vii's illuminated german reticle & low light performance. good luck.
    Last edited by Bubble07; 06-09-2022 at 01:05 PM.
    crnkin and Shearer like this.

@Bubble07 Thanks for that. I'd be swapping the Bushnell Elite 3-9 from the Howa 308 to the 303 and put a Vixen with BDC on the 308. The BDC will be more useful n the 308, not that I'm a long range shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Bubble07 View Post
    i was looking at maybe putting a lighter scope on my rifle(than my 'heavy' vii). the leupold is the lightest but the vixen is better value.(i compared a similar leupold directly with a vi & it was an immediate no brainer.) anyway.. After comparing/calculating the specs real closely of the vi 3-12x40 to the vi 4-16x44 the 3-12 outperforms the 4-16 in almost EVERY category(price, weight, field of view, exit pupil(lowlight performance), eye relief, lower profile etc. & technically even potentially clarity due to the generally thinner lenses utilised for lower magnification.) EXCEPT 2 things - less magnification(12 vs 16 for either greater target detail or bringing a distant target closer) & No parallax adjustment. those last 2 things may be a deal breaker depending on your needs. if i was a longer range shooter i'd get the 4-16. but i'm not. i came to the conclusion the 3-12x40 is the sweet spot, but in the end i just couldn't bring myself to part with my vii's illuminated german reticle & low light performance. good luck.
    Just dropped the coin on a 3-12 mil dot. I wish they had that illuminated German reticule available on that scope. It would be my ideal.
    Bubble07 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Had the German reticle on a V111. It was a good clear scope, Dorkus bought it but didnt like it he might still have it for sale.

I have a 3-9 Kahles with one. I didn't buy it because of the reticule but the more I use it the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I have a 3-9 Kahles with one. I didn't buy it because of the reticule but the more I use it the more I like it.
    yeah i like it also, especially in the bush..

I just read that they have a lifetime transferrable warranty too. I must have previously missed that in the blurb.

see if you can maybe get your hands on 1 & take your elite along to compare side by side & maybe also compare something like a burris fullfield which is also one of the better quality lower priced scopes like your elite. hopefully that'll help you decide if the vixen suits you, you may find you hate it.. everyone's different ..but i really haven't heard much bad about them. realistically there aren't too many exciting options out there in that price bracket.(lowest price i found was $419 for the 3-12).
    bumblefoot likes this.

Got my 3-12 for $426 inc freight from Scope U Out.