Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Nick-D
  • 1 Post By Beetroot

Thread: Vortex Crossfire Mk2 6-24x50...good/bad?

Vortex Crossfire Mk2 6-24x50...good/bad?

Looking to put a bit 'more' scope on my CZ455 so that the Daughter and Grandies can use it at indoor benchrest. They aren't allowed to touch my rifle and the CZ455 is not for serious competition work.
    Has a Vector Taurus 6-24 at the moment (bad scope, good warranty).
    I want to stay in that general size/magnification scope as rifle will also be used by me for the odd bit of knocking off varmints and critters.
    Is the Vortex Mk2 6-24x50 scope good/bad/ugly?
    I know some of you don't like the Vortex scopes. Is that because the scope is shyte, or the NZ supplier is shyte? Or both?
    Thanks.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

My experience with cheaper Vortex scopes has been that they have shit glass so I wouldn't buy one, I'd probably be considered a scope snob by many so keep that in mind.
    I'd imagine that the glass on this wont be very nice at all and you'd be better off with less magnification.

What is your budget and what do you actually want feature wise?
    Do you want to dial or just set and forget? Are you going to be hunting or just shooting steel/paper targets?

I'd put up a WTB post in the buy sell section with a max price and see what options come back.
    There are lot of good used scopes out there that will be far better value for money than buying new.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Yeah, thanks @Beetroot that's sort of what I figured re the Vortex.
    Will probably now look for a 2nd hand Sightron as I like their glass and build quality.

I went through this exercise recently wanting a scope for my target 22. I looked through the crossfire and clarity was a bit shit, jumped up to the diamondback tactical which had noticeably clearer glass. Opted for the 4 - 16 over the 6 - 24 as the resolution looked better in the lower mag scope. It's no swaro, but more than good enough for killing paper and silhouettes

Cheap scopes are mostly pretty decent these days but you really notice the lower quality glass once you wind the magnification up
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Yeah, thanks @Beetroot that's sort of what I figured re the Vortex.
    Will probably now look for a 2nd hand Sightron as I like their glass and build quality.
    That sounds much better to me.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

I put a Vector Taurus 6-24x50 on the rifle a few weeks ago.
    It was not too bad. Nice fine reticle, clear view of target at max setting (x24)...but the QC was horrible.
    Had arrived with 2 scratches on the front lens, windage wouldn't go to the left all the way, turrets were stiff as hell..so I sent them pic's and description, and got a full refund (or I could have asked for another new scope, but once bitten, twice shy). Lifetime warranty on those scopes and it was actually quite clear to look through (German glass on the Taurus if that means anything, but probably not Schott).
    I put the scope on after Vector had sorted me out, but only to see what it 'might have been'.
    Turrets didn't click nicely and settings jumped a large amount.
    Was damn hard to get it to POA as the clicks were not reliable or repeatable.
    I'll give it away one day (Vector don't want it back). It would maybe suit a kids rifle and if they break it then no harm done.
    So yeah, the Vector could have been a lovely scope if the little yellow sods had taken a wee bit of care when they made it.