Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By flock

Thread: Vortex fury 5000 rf Gino question

Vortex fury 5000 rf Gino question

Was setting up some. Vortex fury 5000’s for a mate yesterday. Input data etc to use the ballistic function for dope etc and it lined up with his drop chart. All going well.
    Then having another play today I’m reading that the ballistic solution it gives you to dial is based on the line of sight. It gives you the angle but doesn’t do the maths to give you the “HCR” or horizontal corrected distance as vortex call it.
    For that you need to be in HCD mode and that doesn’t give the elevation adjustment.

Am I reading that right?

Got the Fury 5000AB haven't used most of the features, compass for wind adjustment correction etc. But of disappointment for me is, it will only factor in up to 15degs for ballistic elevation, possibly willn't affect me.
    If you leave it in AB mode and it will give you the angle of elevation way beyond 15degs but then have to use a ballistic program (Strelock pro) to work it out. Kind of defeats the whole simple concept, of these glasses when in steep country. Appart from that I'am happy with them.
    TimC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Got the Fury 5000AB haven't used most of the features, compass for wind adjustment correction etc. But of disappointment for me is, it will only factor in up to 15degs for ballistic elevation, possibly willn't affect me.
    If you leave it in AB mode and it will give you the angle of elevation way beyond 15degs but then have to use a ballistic program (Strelock pro) to work it out. Kind of defeats the whole simple concept, of these glasses when in steep country. Appart from that I'am happy with them.
    I'm running the sig bdx 3000 binoswith 5700 and just setting up the sig 6k with the 5700 kestrel.
    Pretty much the ultimate solution for serious long range.
    Sorry not a vortex fan and now I'm getting the feeling there's good reason for it.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Glad its not just me then who thinks its a bit dumb to need to refer to something else in either of the settings

Well apparently it is giving us the actual solution to dial in the BAL mode.

Mike McDowell (Vortex Optics)

Feb 13, 2024, 2:49 PM CST

Hi Michael,

It is giving you the correct shooting solution — there isn't anything additional you need to do.

Regardless of the angle you range at, you will dial or hold the reported MOA or MRAD (MIL) adjustment.