Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Warning A7 shooting off a bipod

sako is suppost to be top end, but I woudlnt expect that even out of a norinco

SiB
    Yes play the CGA - fit for purpose is a magic phrase.

attaching a reputable bi-pod is reasonable.

I'd suggest you first re-contact your retailer in writing (email) explaining the problem - and formally requesting a written response from them.

It's reasonable to suggest to them that you're disappointed, and simply ask that your situation be made good, and would appreciate their support etc etc.

If they refer you to the agent - ask them to explain to you in writing why they are referring you - it's the retailer's obligation to 'repair, replace or refund' (in that order). The retailer should support you, not cast you adrift to fight alone.

bluntly, you've chosen that rifle model based on its reputation, and its reasonable to say you're shocked and disappointed etc.

I can hear technical argument about pod spikes not moving like rubber feet therefore incurring greater flex forces etc - but the strongest argument remains that your use, and the circumstances were reasonable, and were not excessive.

I'm sure our gunsmiths would have been busy long before now if your situation was common - so play the 'dud stock' card too

Si

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I dont know if the US has a CGA...and thats a cwap excuse. I'd contact the shop and tell them you expect a free replacement, otherwise $35 gets you an appointment with a tribunal. You have the choice of going for the shop or the NZ distributor, if you are friendly with the shop go at the NZ distributor.
    Arguing the use of a bipod with spikes is intended use would be rather subjective. We all assume its fine etc but they can claim (as they have) its nit intended for a bipod let alone one with spikes which allow for a heap of pressure to be loaded up which then gets jarred by recoil and the stock snaps.
    Im not saying i agree with their stance but it is a subjective argument.
    (A bit.like if i put a massive winch on my truck and twisted the.chassis)
    . If the stock is as hollow as it looks in the pic id say their argument that its not designed to be used as such would be sound and the issue would be with if this info (not to be used with a bipod) was freely available and provided
    Fill the stock with epoxy, will be nice and stiff and keep using it i say

Edited to add i would love to be shown wrong on this and see themncome aroun and give a replacement/discount an sfter market option but for me personally my time on the hill hunting is worth more to me than going backward and forward arguing over something i could fix myself and be out hunting again
    Neckshot likes this.

Im back, bagged my first tahr!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363914562.483016.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  78.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363914580.075017.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  63.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363914602.244421.jpg
Views: 1149
Size:  105.5 KB
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    A. It happened while loading up the bipod
    B. Its not hollow just really thin
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363914793.015515.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  39.0 KB
    C. V.T.F if i got that angry they would take my firearms off me. Im due for the snip too id rather the snip than no grass thank f for irrigation.
    D. Im going to take horihunters advice coz i hopefully have alot more tahr to shoot in the coming months and dont want to send it away and not see it for 6 weeks.
    E. Where do i get the carbon from
    F. Im not to stressed about the damage i wanted a new stock later anyway im kinda glad it happened it was like when we got a new dining table we were always worried about scratching or marking it making everyone use coasters when having a beer. then when we were shifting it got a big gouge in it and we stopped worrying about it and enjoyed having beers around it an not worrying about stupid effn coasters. Now i dont have to worry about finding somewhere soft to put it down which was great.

SiB
    Good on yer mate - both for popping the animal, and your attitude to the break.
    I admit I'm glad I've got the laminated stock for my T3 - but am envious of your Tahr - still on my bucket list

To me it comes down to the fact that the agents (if I've read this correctly) appeared to put a great deal more energy in saying what they can't or won't do, than what they can do to help you. No doubt, like many of us, you'll learn from this and vote with your feet when considering your next purchase.

I agree with not being too precious - they are tools after all - and meant to be used, not nursed.
    Si

Well done on the thar :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I havnt been back to the agents just going on others exp i got it from precision nz a couple years ago and cant find them now. Funnily enough its name is "Precious" which i will have to change

SiB
    I might be off-topic here - or misunderstanding you Tussock - but won't the entire A7 be Sako-manufactured, or are we talking about agents mating a name action to a (presumably lesser) stock and selling the whole package under the 'label' brand of the action? PM me if your answer is not forum-appropriate!

The fact that the agents haven't been directly involved in this case is noted - as is their apparent reputation stated by more than one forum member. I'm learning!!!

Si

SiB
    aaah the penny drops. Must admit I'd been encouraging a mate to buy an A7 seeing as it was a such a good deal (to my eyes). The discussions on actions into custom or aftermarket stocks now makes more sense. I'd steered him to deal directly with a (reputable - advertises here too) gunsmith so am confident they'll see him right.

Yup - sako has the "reputation" as the top end gun

12 or so years ago a Tikka cost about $1300 and a Sako TRG S cost about $1500

These days the guns are broadly unchanged and a Sako costs...... Its purely a branding exercise, one of the classics and a very succesful plan it would seem! Hmmm we sell the same thing through 2 different sources well this one is the "flash" or "reasurringly expensive" one and this one is the "cheap" or "sensible" one then, get the advertising team onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    That plastic is pretty damned thin. They used to be bullet proof. I cant think of another rifle where the recoil lug tears right out like that. Even actual tupaware is stronger than that. Im pretty unimpressed, Im a big Sako fan.
    yeh whats with that recoil lug is it supposed to be seperate from the barrel/action? odd recoil lug shitty plastic stock but still shoots like a champion.

How many recoil lugs are seperate from the barrel/action? is it a sako thing? ive never notice it before

I suspect the bipod spikes probably contributed to this? They allow you to load the bipod much more heavily than you need to or otherwise could, probably loading it heavily repeatedly over time with the recoil impulse has damaged/weakened the stock?

Either way, fuck the A7, sorry for your loss, get a McMillan!

Just fitted the spikes that morning and shot 6 rounds and yeh Mcmillan stock is my next purchace.

It is how it looks zero reinforcing and thin what stiffness it does have is in the sides where it is a lot thicker