Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JoshC
  • 2 Post By cambo
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: waterproofing a firearm?

waterproofing a firearm?

Going out for my first hunt today but the weathers a bit shitty.. Would anyone have any tips on giving my gun a better chance to fair a bit better in the rain?

Cheers
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

Caretaker
    Just dry it properly when you get home, either by taking the stock off and drying with a towel or blowing it down with an airgun from a compressor.

Don't forget to clean/dry inside the barrel as well, some often gets in the chamber end even when the muzzle is taped.

Then lube with spray on lanolin etc
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Bit of insulation tape over the end of the barrel, spare bit a little below that. Synthetic stock?

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Just dry it properly when you get home, either by taking the stock off and drying with a towel or blowing it down with an airgun from a compressor.

Don't forget to clean/dry inside the barrel as well, some often gets in the chamber end even when the muzzle is taped.

Then lube with spray on lanolin etc
    thanks for the reply, Would rubbing a bit of gun oil on it prior to going help?
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Bit of insulation tape over the end of the barrel, spare bit a little below that. Synthetic stock?
    Synth/Blue gun
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

Clean it and dry it when you're home. Sit it by the fire, or heater, or in hot water cupboard for the evening. Rain won't hurt it, its the prolonged exposure to moisture afterwards that does the damage.
    Toby likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Ejected
    Oil it before you go out. Dry it and oil it again after you come home. On my wood stocked rifle I polyurethaned the stock on the inside where the action sits and rubbed thinned linseed oil on the outisde. After a few applications of linseed oil it was basically waterproof. Some of the best hunting is in the rain.

Some plastic stocks take poorly to getting hot on one side they sort of banana so watch the fire or heater approach. The hot water cupboard is probably the best bet

Eezox has been the best thing I have found for protecting my rifles and shotty's so far.
    dirtyhabit and sgteval like this.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Lanacote grease from crc is what I put on my guns on the outside. Crc long life inside barrel. Don't put to much arround the trigger as it can collect dust and dirt easily then. Apply with a tooth brush so you don't put to much on.

when its persisting down..sling rifle on left shoulder muzzle forwards and slightly downwards (assuming your right handed) that keeps scope and action under your arm out of worst of weather and lets any water dribble towards muzzle out of stock. as others have said light oil before going out, clean and let dry when return and re-oil before putting away.
    Scouser likes this.

"going out for my first hunt today" ? Maybe im older than i think but i can only handle one hunt a day !
    I hunt with stainless rifles so H2o is no drama, spray crc,inox or wd40 on gun and go hard. PS tape muzzle

Quote Originally Posted by 338 man View Post
    "going out for my first hunt today" ? Maybe im older than i think but i can only handle one hunt a day !
    I hunt with stainless rifles so H2o is no drama, spray crc,inox or wd40 on gun and go hard. PS tape muzzle
    First hunt ever i should say
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!

thanks guys for all the info guys
    Shoot guns, Not heroin!