Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Are we on the wrong 'No.1" criteria when scope buying?

Are we on the wrong 'No.1" criteria when scope buying?

I see a lot of self-tests done in this forum for scopes comparing their 'last light' image clarity...you know 'which scope could make out the tree closest to darkness'.

But I see bugger all scope tracking tests on this forum....why?

All that "glass, lenses, coatings, etc,"... the whole scope environment is purposefully shrouded in mystery and yet people claim to know, and be able to identify, 'the best' optic quality.

However, at a certain lens quality point I just can't tell the difference in optical clarity between scopes...and really is the last 5mins of light that important?

I can, however, reliably test the scope's mechanical adjustments at the range to see its tracking accuracy very objectively.

I think that in this age of laser rangefinders and dialing, the mechanical aspects of a scope are more important than the optical quality. It’s no use having great clarity in a scope if it doesn’t track correctly. However, it seems that people judge a scope (and one pays for), the optical clarity.
    But a rifle scope without good turrets is just a telescope...therefore accurate turret dialing, I suggest, should be the most important and therefore most tested for aspect of a scope.
    More scope tracking tests anyone?
    Brian, Konev, erniec and 2 others like this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

You are correct in saying the scope isn't worth a thing if it doesn't track accurartly but also the optics play a major role in the overall make up of the scope. That last five minutes could be the difference of taking a trophy of a lifetime or putting meat on the table.
    Of the two I think dialling is more important by a margine but optics are right up there two.

In my experience, I feel animals are more active in the last 5 minutes of daylight. There’s not much point dialling when you can’t see the animal to shoot. However, there isn’t much point shooting at an animal that you can’t ethically kill if your scope can’t accurately dial. Maybe people should focus on hold over rather than dialling? However I prefer dialling, but rarely shoot over 300m where the error in dialling will have minimal effect.

I put up a EIR Tech report – tracking tests conducted using in-service military testing equipment.
    On a Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56 FFP
    Had to squeeze a pimple to get one comment – which was from you :-)
    So – there you go
    Back to the drawing board with ya

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....report*-68460/
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Yeah. If you have to dial it's probably too far away.
    ebf, mikee, shooternz and 4 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Yeah. If you have to dial it's probably too far away.
    I agree, say you do dial and shoot an animal at a considerable distance, how long is it going to take to retrieve the animal? Especially in the last 5 minutes of light.
    Shearer, Moa Hunter and Dago like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Liam258 View Post
    I agree, say you do dial and shoot an animal at a considerable distance, how long is it going to take to retrieve the animal? Especially in the last 5 minutes of light.
    I guess that's why there's a flashlight sticky too.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    I guess that's why there's a flashlight sticky too.
    Haha yep, although I have been caught out in the past walking by flash light trying to retrieve an animal on the other side of the valley and getting bluffed out. Although if it’s a trophy if a life time nothing would be stopping me from trying to retrieve it.
    Shearer likes this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    People just want different things. Dialing is certainly fashionable but not everyone is into it.

What people in this forum do not do is comparing scopes of the same class - scopes of similar price, weight, and magnification. The scopes Woody recently compared are essentially 4 different classes, not to mention not all of the same era. While it is a cool piece to read, it has little applicable value.

People in this forum tend to be hunters and weekend shooters. I know of not a single frequent poster who compete at the top level. So, for most people here, having access to several (mid to high end) scopes of the same class is simply too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    One issue that's never tested or reported in is reliability. But then I don't buy scopes to drop them into 6 feet of water, freeze them, hammer nails in, bend them and then heat them up and then check to see if they still work...
    If you watched one of duleys last episodes when the lass shooting a stag of a life time after seven days of hard core hunting ended up missing two easy shots because a scope got bent somehow and was shooting way low, you would have a totally different perspective about optics been able to be frozen shot at and hammer a spike in and not lose its Zero.
    Obviously for that comment above you have never tripped and fallen on an optic or rolled down a scree slope bouncing fifle and optic to the bottom.
    I would much rather have an optic that is not going to fail and have perfect adjustments no matter what you do to it.
    Just saying......

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    People just want different things. Dialing is certainly fashionable but not everyone is into it.

What people in this forum do not do is comparing scopes of the same class - scopes of similar price, weight, and magnification. The scopes Woody recently compared are essentially 4 different classes, not to mention not all of the same era. While it is a cool piece to read, it has little applicable value.

People in this forum tend to be hunters and weekend shooters. I know of not a single frequent poster who compete at the top level. So, for most people here, having access to several (mid to high end) scopes of the same class is simply too hard.
    I get to look through and compare a large amount of high-end scopes as well as set them up and shoot them.
    I'm not shooting comps at the moment but have done my share in the early days of longrange comps.
    I am definitely more inclined to go for optics that do not need to use the elevation correction factor in the apps and are repeatable and can take a knock and not worried about Poi shift.
    If it's getting to last light I just clip on my Nv007s and your good to go!

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    If you watched one of duleys last episodes when the lass shooting a stag of a life time after seven days of hard core hunting ended up missing two easy shots because a scope got bent somehow and was shooting way low, you would have a totally different perspective about optics been able to be frozen shot at and hammer a spike in and not lose its Zero.
    I think we all understand Nightforce hardiness in the field. Unfortunately for many of us it is an unaffordable luxury way outside what we’d pay for a rifle, scope and accessories combined. For me that doesn’t seem to affect the amount of animals I shoot. I do well with cheapish gear.

Nightforce scopes are undeniably tough, but they are not infallible, nor is any brand. Shit happens.

What is an unacceptable risk for me is Nightforce’s limited liability warranty. Like most premium manufacturers, they will not cover accidental damage. Considering how they market their product as being the toughest, and how much they cost, you think they’d be there for you if the unthinkable happened. But they’re not. And to me, the thought of $4000+ being at risk to something as simple as being dropped, that’s untenable.

I get what you’re saying about the hunt of a lifetime and so on and so forth. But most of us are hunting reasonably regularly, and not on a hunt of a lifetime, and consequently if there is a gear failure there is always the next time to make up for it. Like I say, shit happens.

What happened in the NZ Hunter episode was incredibly unfortunate and I think it was admirable that Greg manned up and showed the episode warts and all. Especially considering what he told us directly on this forum about the rifle having been dropped and no one owning up to it, which is really uncool. But what none of us could ever possibly know, is whether a Nightforce scope would have survived that incident unscathed. We just don’t know. Probably, possibly, maybe not. We don’t know and never will.

Shit happens!
    Just...say...the...word

Well from reading these replies, I've reached a conclusion that hardly anyone actually dials their scopes when out shooting!

Seems like most hunters are just using MPBR....."1 1/2 inches high at 100yds and that will do it".

I suspect very few of the forum members are actually carrying rangefinders.....therefore no rangefinder = no dialing. And if you are not dialing then you would not be interested in accurate turret tracking tests...."Just give me a good optical clarity at 5 minutes before dark test".

I'm always on my rangefinder and turrets....but then I'm not hunting in the bush.
    How many members actually dial their scopes and use rangefinders?
    Liam258 likes this.
    A good job and a good wife has been the ruin of many a good hunter.

ok so here is my IDEAL SCOPE...... magnification either fixed 4x or something like 2-7
    large rear eye box..never realized how important this was till had 3 M8 4x scopes and compared them...the oldest,longest,biggest,heaviest is far and away the best.
    doest shift poi over time or usage.....my leupolds hold zero period.....I dont dial so this is more important than ease of dialing....1/2" Vs 1/4" per click irrelevant IF you remember which it is.
    good Xhairs....KISS principle here....duplex or post n rail that stops as rail....do like the circle around inner hairs found on some,or two dots on lower hair...no more than that much clutter.
    FIELD OF VIEW...for a bush hobbit this is paramount....the four pigs I shot in under 10 seconds last week proove this out.at the 50 yards range ,I NEEDED quick target acquisition,EG you cant shoot what isnt in scope ,had mates with flash top end scopes who couldnt find deer in the tight bush in scope or track hopping wallaby as field of view was just too narrow.

bullet/knock/fog/shock/ME proof would be absolutely perfect but leupolds lifetime guarantee takes care of that...FOR ME.
    Bagheera and 10-Ring like this.

how many have open sights as back up???? AND HAVE EVER NEEDED TO USE THEM????? or taken scope off to use them???.......
    how many could if needed????
    I THOUGHT I could but failed miserably....hadnt tried them first off.