Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: What to buy for long range

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I had a 7RM that i wanted to cut down. So researched the fuck out of it and a 20" 7RM will only do the same as a 20" 284 or 280 7-08 308 but with more recoil and muzzle blast (fixed by suppressor) and waste powder. So i sold my 7RM and got a 308. This is just what i read. im not a ballistics expert but i did troll the net looking for an excuse to do it, but no one said it was a good idea and they were doing better than smaller cals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am been a bit of the devils advocate as I undestand what you are saying well.
    Quicker powder and lighter higher bc projectiles are the way forward for cut down barrels.
    One of my favorite rifles that has been cut down is a kimber 300wsm with a mk4 dialler, it is a seriously mean bit of kit that is very light short and bloody accurate as we have shot it out to 975 on steel with good results.
    That chambering is a classic for a hi performance cut down rifle that still has some serious legs
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

It seems short action magnums do much better in short barrels WSM RCM SAUM i dont get it? I will keep my 30-375 with brake at 26" and 308 at 20" without a can. Best of both worlds.

Anyhoo you dont need a magnum to shoot tahr especially not chamois. If you are a good, confident shooter a 223 would do in the vitals? but if you are like me and you want to put a big slug in the middle of that shoulder to be sure then go for it. 7rm does kick like a mule especially on the range lying prone thats why i braked mine. People love or hate brakes and i love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ihad a 30 378 for a while, a beautiful rifle but never shot that well but talk about poking a sceaming 30 cal pill out the end of the barrel!
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Not that I'm the biggest gun city fan but their sale this weekend with rem700's for 799 I would grab one of those.

While I wouldnt recommend you grabbing a new calibre for a 'hunt or two' I have a Tikka T3 300win mag with a suppressor on it you can have for a grand. It has steel rings on it, just needs a good scope. It has fired 40 shots.
    I hate the tikka and I especially despise magnums- Lol, i shoot everything under 40 feet so I find the 308 or 270 seem to work quite well.

Dan
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    While I wouldnt recommend you grabbing a new calibre for a 'hunt or two' I have a Tikka T3 300win mag with a suppressor on it you can have for a grand. It has steel rings on it, just needs a good scope. It has fired 40 shots.
    I hate the tikka and I especially despise magnums- Lol, i shoot everything under 40 feet so I find the 308 or 270 seem to work quite well.

Dan
    If you are getting that close, have you ever considered just using a spear
    Maca49 likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

What to buy for long range

Yep. I'm from Rotorua so am well versed in the use of Maori warfare lol.
    I actually meant to say 4 yards. Sorry.

Dan
    Last edited by Danny; 24-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yep. I'm from Rotorua so am well versed in the use of Maori warfare lol.
    I actually meant to say 4 yards. Sorry.

Dan
    You are pulling my tit for sure...4 yards...what are you carrying a rifle for...just stretch your arm a little and grab them around the neck.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

What to buy for long range

I've tried that but sometimes they have horns, antlers or tusks mate!
    Yep, lol.

The offer stands David; I have this rifle if you wanted to grab it. I won't use it.

Dan
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    A tikka with a limbsaver recoil pad is fine to shoot. The factory Tikka pad has almost no padding but the limbsaver is awesome. What rifle do you have at the moment? Going to a new rifle just before a trip is not a good idea. A 708, 308 or the like will easily get you to 400-500 yds with the right projectile and scope.
    I would put my money into a good scope before I bought a new rifle for long range shooting.
    Cant rate limbsavers high enough. have one on my 264 and dont feel a thing could shoot all day and be comfortable. everyones quick to suppress or muzzle brake when a fraction of the cost a limbsaver is all that is needed.