Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: What happens when a 50 cal rifle blows up.

Those glasses sure did their job, plus some.
    Use enough gun

That was a terrific explosion alright, he was damn lucky the piece that missed his head and took has hat off did miss otherwise he wouldn't be here today. One lucky dude, God must have been watching over him.
    Micky Duck and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Bloody lucky alright, I think I’ll stick to my 308..
    Seen a 308 do way worse

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Philipo and striker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    My bad typing, sorry. Yep 1000 yards / 900m it was. Terrifying!!!
    Yeah that video is terrifying. Cuts the ear off his muffs.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Seen a 308 do way worse

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    what happened ?

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    A couple of things too come outa this situation

YES PLEASE EVERYONE WEAR PROPER EYE PROTECTION ( & I mean at least specked polys ) when doing range - gong - sight in - practice.,

WTF is this guy shooting ? sorry for my ignorance but a "break open" 50bmg ( yes has a screw cap ) shooting some old army flame throwers just looks like an accident waiting to happen.

GOB BLESS lol
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Would bet my 50bmg Noreen would not have failed like that.
    Seams like a piss weak design.
    Always have safety glasses on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    Wow
    The fail safe was only to close the breech correctly and not an over pressure fail safe

I guess they assumed that in over pressure the barrel stub would expend and the threads would not let go
    The back thrust must have been colossal to overcome the shank expansion and strip those threads
    I wonder what if any destruction testing was done by the manufacturer ?
    I also wonder if there was significant throat erosion starting in the barrel and it was riveting the projectiles
    There is never just one thing that goes wrong
    It's a cluster F of things that contribute to total failure
    I know this from experience
    I reckon the round was oiled inadvertently or charged with the wrong powder.

There are thousands of screw breach artillery peices out there that worked just fine.
    Micky Duck, 40mm, Cordite and 1 others like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    There are thousands of screw breach artillery peices out there that worked just fine.
    Aye, but were they not usually fitted with some sort of recoil dissipating system and positioned skywards, hence if it did vent out of the breech it would be directed downwards? (still a bad day though!)

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Aye, but were they not usually fitted with some sort of recoil dissipating system and positioned skywards, hence if it did vent out of the breech it would be directed downwards? (still a bad day though!)
    No

Interupted thread breeches preceeded mechanical recoil dampning.

Interupted thread breeches have half the amount of bearing surface as a entirely threaded breech plug does.Breech plugs being introduced in the matchlock age continuing to today in modern reproduction muzzle loaders still using a threaded breech plug.

Where ever the the barrel is pointing makes no odds
    If the breech lets go .
    Mauser308 and 40mm like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Interrupted thread typically has a much different (meatier) cross section profile, like the old rear-locking Remington bolts. What the maker seems to have used there is a standard triangular profile thread. It is basically the same as a pipe bomb end cap, and those are expected to let go... Also, as that end cap heats up, it’s expanding and less of the thread is meshing. It would still be doing up tight, but the meshing would be a lesser surface area progressively.
    timattalon and Moa Hunter like this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk .308 View Post
    Tell us more....
    I think you'll find that story is permanently suppressed
    BRADS and Mohawk .308 like this.

The word "detonation" springs to mind, a seriously dodgy "someone-elses-hand-load". With detonation, guns just don't hold up.

Interesting how the fail safe "ears" broke off and in the process the frame broke. As akaroa1 said, not a fail safe, seemingly there just to make sure the breech cap was fully screwed on.

I wonder if the gun would have failed more safely if tempered towards more toughness, less hardness/brittleness @gundoc?

Also, it would perhaps be desirable to deliberately weaken the front of the barrel hinge so that if things blow the barrel flies forwards on the receiver if that cap goes back. The safety "ears" might have a better chance to work then. Designing towards "safe failure" instead of pure faith in that screw lid seems in order -- the assumption being that "detonation WILL happen", eventually, to someone.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

He called it a freak accident but I think he was playing Russian Roulette with his supply of dodgy ammo.

Also the manufacturer's claim that the piece was good for 85,000 psi seemed a bit light but have since found this data for proof testing a 50 BMG -

"Small arms proof testing
    A small arms proof round is loaded to a higher than normal service pressure, stressing both the gun barrel and breech during firing. This can be due to a heavy projectile fired using the standard propelling charge, the standard projectile fired with a different propellant type or weight, or combinations of charge and bullet weight to give the required proofing pressure. Minimum proof testing pressures are specified by the owner of the cartridge specification, such as C.I.P. or SAAMI for most commercial cartridges or NATO EPVAT testing for appropriate military cartridges.

An example proofing round for the .50 BMG (12.7 × 99 mm) is the "cartridge, caliber .50, test, high pressure, M1". This uses the standard-weight .50 BMG M1 round propellant (240 gr of WC860), but a bullet weighing 999 gr (+/- 11 gr). The M1 proof round gives a proofing pressure of ~65,000 psi, 11,000 psi (~17%) above the standard service pressure."

So the manufacturers claim of 85,000 was well above proofing load of 65,000. So what the hell was the cartridge that he fired loaded with??
    Moa Hunter and Cordite like this.

Banned
    What actions are actually safe ? Are Martini style actions the safest ? Confirms to me that having a powerful cartridge loaded to starting loads is a lot better than trying to squeeze the last fps out of a lower powered round.
    Micky Duck likes this.