Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: WHAT IS A "LONG RANGE GUN/RIFLE"?

To me a long range gun is designed or set up to shoot accurately and reliably beyond its point blank range
    Gibo likes this.

You get what you pay for.
    Those cheap russian / chinese rifles use even cheaper ammo = lack luster performance at the range. My advice - buy yourself one of each
    Kidding
    Grab one of the hundreds of unused christmas presents and have a belt with a .223 if thats grabs your fancy. They do have a lot of benefits - cheaper shop ammo and they'll kill everything upto medium sized game (goats / hares etc).

Long range... to me that changes on the hour. Any reason your projectile is more than 5 clicks sideways off the target due to wind - that to me is a long range shot. I mean there have been days when I've hit the little gong at 1km but due to the lack of wind, it wasn't that hard. Add a steep hill and a roaring wind and then 350m becomes an excessively hard shot - that would be long range for the day.
    Gibo and Danny like this.

A long range rifle is what the NUT BEHIND THE BUTT can put a round on target

res
    Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    To me a long range gun is designed or set up to shoot accurately and reliably beyond its point blank range
    I like this,sums it up well for those who already know shooting terminology
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    A long range gun is typically something that is overly heavy, impractical and loud. The bonus thought is bragging/wanking on rights at the local pub/forum.
    Typically adorned with mountains of clicky/bubble/spikey/ bollocks and scope of magnitudes that would make astronomers blush.
    Seldom a rifle that is kept for long or lives in the cabinet for that "special day" it may be useful (other than shooting goats at your mates farm cause its not so bad on the quad).
    Best you just speak for your self I reckon.
    My multipurpose short range/longrange rifle is light enough to cart all day gets dragged out of the cabinet average once a week has a suppressor and is now on its second barrel as the last one just plain worn out.
    I did something unusual when I rebarelled and kept it the same chambering?
    As for wanking on at the pub and forums I just leave that to the ones that want to and just potter of to the gun room and make more ammo to kill more shit whether it be paper or meat.
    You are right on one thing I do have a bubble level but that is only for the practical reason of precision shot placement.
    Long range gun heavy impractical and loud.
    Yours perhaps but mine, it cant be long range as doesnt fit the above criteria!
    Kiwi Greg, mikee, username and 2 others like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!