Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What Scope are People Using for Medium Range

I've found that as I've got older and my eyes are not as good I find the extra mag easier for the longer shots.
    I've gone from a swovski 3-9 to z5 3-18 and vz5 3.5-15 and now to a Delta titanium 4-24 and Z8 2.5-18.
    The Z8 is on my do all hunting and range rifle and it's an amazing scope.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    GWH, Mooseman, Moa Hunter and 1 others like this.

I had a similar requirement a few years ago.

Was dead set I wanted something 2-12 with holdover and middle finger to dialing.

Then. Then I got a VX5HD 2-10 zl2.

Standard duplex.
    I got my first handloads going. Which are one inch higher than the factory stuff I was using.

Now I've learnt to dial and have set my zero a little bit further out than I did in the past. 240y for my 308 in question. It means basically anything to 325y its point and shoot.

Another scope I'd look at would be a Burris Signature HD 2-10 which has both a standard duplex or their e3 reticle.

The one thing to come out of my experience is that I'd rather much pay for a optically superior scope with less magnification than one with more magnification and optically inferior lenses etc for the style of hunting I do.

Hope this is of use to ya
    Husky1600 and Woody like this.

I picked up an Athlon Helos 2-12x42 and it's damn near perfect for what you are after, it's a cheaper scope so the glass isn't as good as a VX5/6 but is probably on par with the VX3.
    The locking turrets work as advertised, the FFP reticle is pretty well sized so it's usable on 2x and 12x, and it has Mil hold overs if you don't want to dial.

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    In my little experience I have found a ffp scope rubbish for everyday hunting unless you are shooting past 100m all the time. The crosshsirs are too fine for me to see.
    The problem is manufactures usually make the reticle to thin, it may look nice at 20x but at 3x they just disappear in low light.
    There are a few lower powered FFP scopes that have a reticle that is appropriately sized and they work great.

The Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 is such a scope, works great on 2.5x even well past sun set and the illumination goes dim enough to give you a few more minutes until it's pitch black.
    When using the scope spotlighting I use illumunation all the time but during the day and first/last light it's seldom necessary.
    Mooseman and A330driver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    $$$ but I've had a scope or two in the past and this thing just does everything and does it very well. Don't miss the extra mag of a 15x or 18x Leupold etc as the glass is just so much better, was shoulder shooting hares at 400m+ the other evening with longest one being 538m. Mine has the 4A-IF reticle but you can also get them with a ballistic reticle if you want to shoot out far without the turret
    Attachment 184266
    This is the way to go

I chase Sika a lot and find my Swaro Z6 2,5-15x44 to be ideal. However I use this scope in the south island for tahr & chammy as well

Name:  IMG_20210116_152156_308.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  225.0 KB

Slight thread jack
    I see the 2-8×36 leupold popped up a couple of times and they always go like hot cakes when they come up for sale.
    What makes them so good?

If you're often a bush hobbit and never go out beyond say 350yds, then they are fine. Compact and very light. I have one on my Bushpig and a 3.5-18 Z5 on my .280 AI LR rig.