Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What are some of the smoothest bolt actions you have handled?

My Tikka 695 would have to be up there for me.
    Mooseman and 300CALMAN like this.

As above a Mod 695 very smooth, My tikka's are all great as are the Rem 700 i have. They all improve with use. Back many years the Sako Vixen and Forrester I had were very pretty good too.
    For a cheaper rifle I find my Ruger American 30 06 good as well.

Slickest action I have tried was a Tikka M558. Just amazing. I did not buy one because of the synthetic material used around the bolt (which made it so ultra-slick). I wondered how long the synthetic would last and if it would be possible to import the part into NZ. The next slickest I have come across was the Tikka M590. Tikka dropped the synthetic part and went back to a completely steel bolt (except for the shroud) and i bought one. I kept my M55 as well - a very smooth action and excellent trigger. Another more modern rifle I have tried which surprised me due to the smoothness of the action was the Antonio Zoli version of the Husqvarna 1900. I have not found the Sako actions to be particularly 'grateful' to use, having tried the Vixen, Forester, L61, M75, M591 and M995.
    Last edited by rupert; 17-01-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    300CALMAN likes this.

I have about 15 Bolt Action Rifles and have used about 30 others at various times. Without a shadow of doubt the smoothest bolt action I have ever used is on my Mauser 66, Single Trigger .308 Calibre. Smooth as glass. If you Google the Mauser 66 there are lots of comment about the smoothness of the Modell 66 action, including a celebrated description somewhere that the Mauser 66 action is like... "the silky poop tube on a goose", r something similar!

Schultz and Larsen Classic
    Never felt anything like it before

Like sliding ice over ice

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Krag, early Mannlicher Schonauer, Lee-Enfield, in that order for smoothness, move Lee-Enfield to the top of the heap for rapidity of fire!
    Have you ever used one of the STR / Scandinavian Target Rifles, how smooth do they cycle? I see someone "beat" Sgt Snoxall's record with one.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Tikka. After owning a Tikka for a while, I went to buy a Ruger American Ranch and the action was horrible in comparison. I learnt the difference between a cheap and a mid-range gun that day.
    The Ruger can be made smooth for a fraction of the difference in price between the Ruger Ranch and 'slicker' rifles.
    csmiffy likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    My Defiance for sure, followed by a Steyr Mannlicher and Krico. My sons Model 7 CDL with jeweled bolt was very smooth too.

Smoothest I have ever owned was my Seekins Precision PH2 - after I broke it in and applied grease. Was Shocking before that.

After that it would be my CRF Model 70 - many times I checked to see if it actually fed a round, the controlled round feeding worked that well.

Vz33 would be up there as well

Enfield
    Defiance
    Lone peak
    AI AW
    Blaser
    Mod 70 push feed
    Sako
    Tikka
    Last edited by 300_BLK; 19-01-2021 at 06:04 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Clearly only very few of you have handled a Krag (not surprising as they fairly thin on the ground in NZ) but nothing else comes close, smoother than a silk worm's singlet!

I have 4 pre 64 Model 70's. They are the slickest rifles I own.......followed by the three Tikka's........Next up would be the Howa in 204Ruger..

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Have you ever used one of the STR / Scandinavian Target Rifles, how smooth do they cycle? I see someone "beat" Sgt Snoxall's record with one.
    That are slick allright and are the benchmark for DFS shooting here. They are still not as slick as a Krag imho,they are however new produced.

Vanishing few shooters use Krags these days.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Mannlicher Schoenauer.
    Tikka T3x and Sako 85 a fair way behind the MC but still better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I had a pre '64 win 30-06 for a while, with a stock by Jack Bramley. A tack driver I regret selling to this day.
    @Woody That Winchester wasn’t a mid 50s Super Grade by any chance?
    I’ve been trying to track the history of mine that I picked up about 15-20 years ago used from Reloaders..it has a stock that I think is a Fajen? Cheers, Charlie