Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What sort of 223?

Question What sort of 223?

OK, I have a little 223 I can sling on my back for the odd bigger critter when rabbit shooting but I'm not overly fussed with it. Looking at options for something slightly better. The big question is what to look for? I want something I can carry all day, so obviously not a three day long heavy varmint barrel, I'm a weedy little chap and not as young as I used to be. So that takes me more into the sporters: Marlin, Savage, Remington, Tikka, Howa, and possibly stretch to the Browning at $1399 (A-bolt?) ... or anything else. It will be suppressed with a Gunworks over barrel and probably shortened. It is likely to be used on wallabies, pigs (some a fair size), fellow, maybe goats, ... whatever else I come across. There are bigger calibres in the safe that I'd take for a deer hunt. I reload.

Points I've noted: The Tikka is available in 12" or 8" twist, the American stuff seems to be 9" twist and the Japanese 12" twist. I like the Savage 3 stage safety and the barrel nut arrangement. I don't overly like the look of the T3 bolt release, looks like an afterthought, but I have no experience with it. have heard good things about the Howa but think a higher twist rate might be better; thinking could have 55gn pills loaded for usual small game but slap in something bigger for a big pig or deer.

What are everyones thoughts?

I've had the following .223s

Savage 110 1 in 12"
    Tikka T3 Varmint 1 in 8"
    Miroku M-Bolt (A-Bolt in drag) 1 in 12"

Before settling on the current Sako 75 1 in 8".

I've shot from 55gn to 80gn projectiles in it, but have settled on 69gn SMK and 65gn SGKs.
    Bryan likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

good on ya for getting a sako! cant beat them 75 s
    7mmsaum likes this.

I have a marlin for the kids rifle... Not to bad considering the price I paid, Shoots accurate, 1:9 twist so will run the 69's OK any thing I would like is a hinged floor plate to drop the rounds

Most of the Rem's are 1:12, SPS tactical 20" is 1:9 and they are good

Howa make a nice rifle.. Try a few in the shop sto see what fits you nicely and has the specs you want (twist etc)
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Just had a fondle of a cz ebony edition with the spiral forged barrel. Apparently once you have adjusted the trigger they just the bomb!
    not a bad price at $1459 i think with good rings in 223
    7mmsaum and Ingrid 51 like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

If you are going with the Gunworks suppressor it would pay to talk to them about the whole deal. Robbie/Amanda can do sharp deals with rifles included, they've bought a rifle for me in the past and it was cheaper than I could find it

CZ 527, unfortuately only in 1 in 12 twist but the varmint versions 'apparently' have a 1 in9. Great solid rifles, no plastic shit!

do you carry two rifles? A bit out there but you could load some sub-sonic 223 and get the same performance as a full power .22 and quieter. And put in full power for bigger game. Or you can buy my single shot H&R .223 1:9" suppressed ...
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

I have a sako Vixen in .223. Great shooter.
    7mmsaum likes this.

I've been pondering a similar question for replacing my varmint 204 once it sells - Savage and CZ are leading the race in my head.

I just got my new howa , houge stock scope and rings threaded for can . Is a very nice rifle nice trigger and finish , ncice and lite and 20 inch barrel. And gun bag under 900. You got to consider one . You are welcome to have a play with mine and see if you like it . Pm me if you want . Can put you on to where I got my deal as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
    do you carry two rifles? A bit out there but you could load some sub-sonic 223 and get the same performance as a full power .22 and quieter. And put in full power for bigger game. Or you can buy my single shot H&R .223 1:9" suppressed ...
    Yes, two rifles, sometimes a 22lr and 12g shottie!

Often walk 4-6 hours busting rabbits and have the second on a sling. Too many rabbits to load up the 223 for so really need to use the 22lr. Top options would be Savage, Marlin, Tikka at this stage as I would like to try a fast twist (I think). What are the trade off's with the fast/slow twist rates. Does a fast twist limit range on lighter lead tablets (I like delivering medicine)?

I'm in the market myself for a 223 for a varminter. Something to fill the gap between my 17HMR and my 7mm-08.

The leading contenders for me are a Savage model 12, a Howa 1500 (lightweight compact) or a CZ527.

Savages are tack drivers, the Howa is a hell of a gun for the money, and a CZ 527 is probably out of my price range, but damn they're pretty rifles (can't hate a 223 that's built for that size round, so it's small. Plus the set trigger and wooden stock... gotta love it).

My preference would probably be the Savage, but I'm half tempted to get the Howa and spent the extra $$ on a better scope. Plus it's already threaded so that saves me throwing more money away getting that done.

Re: What sort of 223?

Ive had a howa and an sps tactical. The tac was an absolute tack driver with any ammo I put through it. But for a rifle that size was HEAVY. Howa was a good compromise and shot fine aswell but not aswell as the sps tac.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Yes, two rifles, sometimes a 22lr and 12g shottie!

Often walk 4-6 hours busting rabbits and have the second on a sling. Too many rabbits to load up the 223 for so really need to use the 22lr. Top options would be Savage, Marlin, Tikka at this stage as I would like to try a fast twist (I think). What are the trade off's with the fast/slow twist rates. Does a fast twist limit range on lighter lead tablets (I like delivering medicine)?
    I'm no expert but you are limited to about 60gr or less with a 1:12". If you had a 1:7" you probably will find 50 gr bullets may not shoot well. A 1:9" would be a good bet so you can use heavier projectiles on the odd occasion something bigger comes a long ...
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209