Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dicko

Thread: what are they worth

what are they worth

Just out of interest sake, what are the older shot out winchester 70s and remington 700s from the 60s and 70s going for? Never seems to be much about
    Do they pop up and get bought real quick, not really enough of them are shot out (like my 243) or get rebarrelled by the original owner.

The last shot out barrelled rifle I had done (barrel replaced) was about 10 years ago and it cost more than $800. I'm not sure that many of those old Rems and Wins from the late middle century could be considered for barrel replacement. However, I still have a couple of rifles with corroded barrels lurking in the safe: a Rem 700 222Rem and a BRNO 270Win, waiting for some spare cash to come their way. As far as price goes, those old actions (at least the Rem 700 with trigger and mag, etc) with their dodgy barrels seem to maintain value of around $500. I never see old Winchester M70s selling.

I have a 700 and an early A-Bolt with worn barrels and kinda had plans to re-barrel them. Also could do with butt pad replacing, couple of springs need changing too. And the original stock finish is beaten up so...
    adding it all up I could probably get a new rifle for less. Apart from all the good memories, the only thing in the old guns favour is they're both LH actions.

sorry... doesn't really answer your question!

About 600 ish here for older A, B or C series 700’s with worn bald. ADLs a bit less than BDLs.

As a high grade rebarrel is now about $900 demand is lower with new Howas at $650 or less and good second hand tikkas from $800onwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    About 600 ish here for older A, B or C series 700’s with worn bald. ADLs a bit less than BDLs.

As a high grade rebarrel is now about $900 demand is lower with new Howas at $650 or less and good second hand tikkas from $800onwards

Who in their right mind buys a Howa or a tikka. The pleasure of fondling an old bsa is priceless. Not to mention a mod 70 win. A wee vixen, history right there.

It's a funny thing isnt it. You would imagine that the cheaper available actions and rifles would make them cheaper. As was mentioned earlier, why would you pay a bit for a buggered rifle and then a heap for a barrel when you can get those cheaper options.
    But if my 416 remington 700 is anything to go by and much like the model 7, a nice handling remington that shoots well is just better

I’ve got at least 6 rebarreled 700’s but it would not be that common now with cheaper options.

Unfortunately with Gunsmithing not every job comes back perfect. And if this happens then sorting it out is not always quick and easy.

csmiffy likes this.