Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Rem 700 help

Rem 700 help

Have a mates remington 700 5r 300wm that was shooting great but is now chucking the bullets around only about 300 rounds down it. We've tryed no suppressor, changing scopes and mounts copper clean and no change. I haven't pulled it out of the stock that is the next move. Is there anything else anyone can think off that might be causing the problem. Any suggestions welcome thanks team

Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    Have a mates remington 700 5r 300wm that was shooting great but is now chucking the bullets around only about 300 rounds down it. We've tryed no suppressor, changing scopes and mounts copper clean and no change. I haven't pulled it out of the stock that is the next move. Is there anything else anyone can think off that might be causing the problem. Any suggestions welcome thanks team
    is it a wooden stock check for water damage at forend - have had sako and remingtons that have not been sealed and give real problems with excessive forend pressure from water damage -some gentle work with sandpaper and seal with boiled linseed end of problem
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Could also be shot out

bad batch of ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Could also be shot out
    Didn't think It would be but will consider it

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    is it a wooden stock check for water damage at forend - have had sako and remingtons that have not been sealed and give real problems with excessive forend pressure from water damage -some gentle work with sandpaper and seal with boiled linseed end of problem
    It's a bell and carson that's been bedded

Bulged barrel, muzzle damage. Had a few where I've uncovered that now, one (.243) took a lot of head scratching to work out what was up. The bulge wasn't visually apparent but once we worked out what was up the issue was obvious by placing a straight edge on the outside of the barrel. And it was far enough back that the barrel wasn't able to be docked as well, very sucky.

In the shooting from it, two shots touching then the next few anywhere within about a 500mm circle or worse.

The next possibility would be throat or headspace issues, but I wouldn't think that it would show in such a sudden extreme group change...
    Moa Hunter and country cuts like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by country cuts View Post
    It's a bell and carson that's been bedded
    If its not a bedding issue and with scope and mounts checked I would look at crown damage and barrel fouling. For fouling I have had great results from using 'Autosol' mag wheel polish on a patch wrapped to a tight fit in the bore and given 100 strokes
    country cuts likes this.

Run a tight brush down the barrel and see if it suddelenly slips forward at any point or resistance changes. That's how I've identified barrel bulge, which can cause the problem you describe.
    country cuts likes this.

I've heard of a number of cases lately that was tracked down to a carbon build up not too far forward of the chamber. Takes a bit of moving, with the right products. Apparently some powders are more prone to it than others.
    7mmsaum, chainsaw and country cuts like this.

Carbon ring build up like Husky 1600 has suggested, had the same issue a couple of times.
    7mmsaum and country cuts like this.

Start with the scope first.
    erniec likes this.

check crown also, had a rifle recently go to shit and nothing obvious, tidied up the crown and back to driving tacks again, doesnt take much to create an issue
    country cuts and 6.5 CRD like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

My fathers Husqvarna 7x57 went from shooting like a laser years go to throwing rounds around. tried scope, mounts, all the usual suspects to no avail. ended up taking it to the late Dave Collingwood to have it checked out, he found the most minuscule bit of corrosion at the very end of the barrel, possibly from it getting wet while hunting. looked like nothing to me, but he took 1/2 an inch off the end of the barrel and it was back to shooting brilliantly again.
    country cuts likes this.

Have you checked the action screws? Are they firm ? Best to check with a torque wrench & note the torque. Then remove the screws and action from stock. Check the stock around the action area very closely for any rub marks. Do the same for the underside of action. Any rub marks will point to a problem with bedding job. Also check the mag box is not binding before you loosen the action screws. It should move slightly, if it’s trapped this could be source of problem
    Micky Duck likes this.