Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Winchester 30/30

Tauranga, although back home to the mainland sometime

Winchester 30/30

Hi guys,

I wanting to re blue my 30/30 near the action (previous owner I guess) and I wondered what you guys think would suit best? The blueing on the barrel is pretty good still.

Regards
    Matt

Name:  B39B921E-FD42-40B1-B344-FF4434FB738E.jpeg
Views: 393
Size:  57.5 KBName:  C0859F77-17E4-4418-8944-8FFE0A7D9222.jpeg
Views: 401
Size:  91.3 KBName:  75DE49AB-AECF-418F-AD1F-6DE8E3BD1BE3.jpeg
Views: 371
Size:  97.4 KBName:  C10575C6-8A1E-4BDA-9420-4EFD3D5A63B3.jpeg
Views: 369
Size:  96.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Matt308 View Post
    Hi guys,

I wanting to re blue my 30/30 near the action (previous owner I guess) and I wondered what you guys think would suit best? The blueing on the barrel is pretty good still.

Regards
    Matt

Attachment 214118Attachment 214119Attachment 214120Attachment 214121
    I would get a gunsmith to satin bead blast and reblue - while one is at it looks like some of the action screws could need a dress up - make the finished job just that much better - its easy to do - with right tools - the burring is gently tapped back into place and the slot carefully recut with correct files - make it all look like new - on that nice rifle all worth it -ps pictures of finished job
    Matt308 likes this.

Hi guys,

Regards
    Matt

If you touch up the areas with some cold blue you might be surprised at the results. Won’t look like brand new but it will look used/period.
    rugerman and Matt308 like this.

You cant blue that action. In the 1970's they finished them differently. If you try to blue it it will go purple. Dont do it.

An option would be to cerakote it, or just leave it as it is. It's an old Winchester 94. It's supposed to look like that.

Gone but not forgotten
    My mid-80's M94 had a "case coloured" action.
    I think it's done by heating and dousing in oil or something like that? It has a rainbow look similar to spilt oil/diesel

Name:  restored-Winchester-1892-color-case-hardened-receiver-32369_IMG_9156-400x284.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  13.1 KB
    Last edited by Cigar; 10-01-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    Micky Duck, Matt308 and SF90 like this.

I just looked up 'cerakoting' - it's an epoxy/ceramic finish and is considered very durable. You can get it in over 100 colours too - you got lots of choices there

As mentioned - you could just use it as is, it never really worried me if an old gun actually looked like an old gun - but that blueing loss is pretty unattractive as it doesn't appear to have worn off, it seems almost to have flaked off like a badly applied paint due to mistreatment. It reminds me of a 'bad hair' day and I'd hide it until it can be sorted - and I'd even attempt a 'cold blue' in the odd chance that you may improve it ......... or you can shoot it like it is and not give a toss what others think ............

Trying something never really hurt - unless you're trying it from a high building ............

I dunno .............
    Micky Duck and Matt308 like this.

Thanks guys for your input, it’s never really worried me in the past, I just need to get a new bead/ front site and thought maybe it could do with some love……. Maybe it just needs a run ��
    sgteval and SF90 like this.

Cheers mate - a gun is like a hammer, it's just a tool and like any tool it needs to be kept in reasonable nick to keep doing its job.

Sometimes a gun can be a sex symbol and the factory it came out of can be important ........... like Chanel, Faberge, H&H and some others - but in the end it's just a delivery system, so it's more than a hammer ...... it's a mailman

Maybe a combination of hammer and mailman ........... it's a hard one.
    Matt308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    My mid-80's M94 had a "case coloured" action.
    I think it's done by heating and dousing in oil or something like that? It has a rainbow look similar to spilt oil/diesel

Attachment 214147
    That's what we used to call 'case hardening' - when a low carbon steel is soaked at quite high heat in a carbon rich material such as bone, leather, iron filings, then quenched to give a hard wearing surface.
    In this case it probably is just a heat application with chemicals and an oil quench - quite attractive
    Matt308 and Fssprecision like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SF90 View Post
    Cheers mate - a gun is like a hammer, it's just a tool and like any tool it needs to be kept in reasonable nick to keep doing its job.

Sometimes a gun can be a sex symbol and the factory it came out of can be important ........... like Chanel, Faberge, H&H and some others - but in the end it's just a delivery system, so it's more than a hammer ...... it's a mailman

Maybe a combination of hammer and mailman ........... it's a hard one.
    And I'm surprised no one has said - "Who wants to be seen with an ugly girl."
    Matt308 likes this.

Mate, its clearly horrible and past redemption..I give you $50 to take it off your hands
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Hi guys,

Regards
    Matt

I think you have had some bad advice - look at the barrel - thats not case hardened thats blued - some winchesters came out with a case hardened look but I dont believe yours did - it simply does not look like a case hardened finish that has weathered over time - and the rifle is simply not old enough -I would go with my original advice
    Matt308 likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    I think you have had some bad advice - look at the barrel - thats not case hardened thats blued - some winchesters came out with a case hardened look but I dont believe yours did - it simply does not look like a case hardened finish that has weathered over time - and the rifle is simply not old enough -I would go with my original advice
    I agree that it doesn't look like a weathered case hardened finish, but looking at the barrel won't tell you anything - my one with a case hardened receiver still had a blued barrel

its a hunting rifle...not a safe queen or a range Barbie.....paint it and be done with it.... hammerite is awesome stuff.... harder than hobs of hell and looks good,sort of like grannies meat dish.....get your minds out of gutter....
    of take it to gunsmith and get it reblued properly IF THEY SAY THATS CORRECT....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Haha top blokes the lot of ya.