Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: what would you get for ....

STEYR MODEL L 308 | Trade Me

In that price range will battle to beat a steyr mannlicher luxus for pure class, sako, Schultz & larson or winchester are other great choices.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I was meant to say my budget is $3,000 which includes a good scope. So say 2k on rifle and rest on a scope.

Lol Toby if I won lotto I would
    Toby likes this.

it is very hard to beat a sako.

they do every thing so well they are allmost boring. point, shoot, pick up the deer.

I shoot a sako 75 in 243 and couldnt reccomend them highly enough.

Re: what would you get for ....

Wincheste extreme weather in sale for 1500 gives you an extra 5hindy on glass or a can

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I suppose we should also go down the go and see what fits you route too.

shoulder them and see how each feels. 3k is alot to spend on a rifle. how much is your total budget? Ie how much can you boast the optics fund if we save a little on the rifle?

rings, bipods, rangefinders, binos, slings and hunting all cost money so we dont want to drive you broke to the point where you cant even use it
    pops likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Toby you are addicted (which is not a bad thing). Calculate the number of firearms you will have when you are 65 by dividing the number of rifles you have now by your age and then multiplying the answer by 65. Once you have the answer then ask yourself "where will I put them all"?
    Wait so, 20/17x65 =76? Did I do it right. I have enough room here for that.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Wait so, 20/17x65 =76? Did I do it right. I have enough room here for that.
    How many. 22s do you have?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Why? Why don't you sell all of them and get 1 really nice one like a Cz ebony?

I dont like selling them, I sold my side by side and thought that was the dumbest thing I have done so since that day told my self dont sell any. they all get used except for the fully wooded .303
    VIVA LA HOWA

$3000 opens up so many options for a suitable rifle for NZ conditions. If it was going to get bashed and trashed in the mountains I would be focusing on a work horse type rifle than a flashy one. One that "shoots" out of the box and doesn't need mod'd and isnt to heavy. Something thats going to last the distance. Like a winny extreme weather, sako or kimber. If you're going to spend big coin on a rifle you need to do the same with optics as well, something versatile, reliable and light. 7-08 is a good all round calibre for NZ conditions, and ammo is readily available, which is essential just in case you "forget" your ammo on the way to a hunting trip.

This is nice but I dont think it is what your after

85 7mm08 sako | Trade Me

Schultz & Larsen Classic 308 | Trade Me
    VIVA LA HOWA

Thanks guys, I can see people's point of view. Just had a look at a T3 7mm-08 new rifle,has had some work done on it, ie trigger,bolt etc still going to do more research and will let you know.

ebf
    Pops, for 3k rifle + scope, I would get a T3, and spend the rest on scope and can.

I've got some advise early in life to spend at least as much on the scope as the rifle, and have never regretted doing that once...

You could get a nice Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40, even at mad NZ optics prices, or look at one of the Internet optics places for better value.
    Matt2308 likes this.

t3 triggers are cheep to do, as is the half bolt mod. all round great rifles. top it with optilocks and you will have a good package.

they are certanly not in the 3k price range tho all the bits and pieces on a tikka and you will still be short of 2k
    - which opens up a heli trip into the kaimais........
    there is nothing worse than seeing someone put a whole heap of work into paying a gun off just for it to get sited in and left in the gun safe.

the best thing about the 7mm08 one is that in a morning at the gun smith it is a 7mm08 and in the after noon it can be 280