Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: What's a good rear bag?

The potato in your bathers is supposed to be your dick

Etc
    Normie, veitnamcam and R93 like this.

I got the Red Tac half pint bag and is good. small and light. Might be too small for some uses. Norway's bags he designed look good. Little bit bigger than the Half pint.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Just make sure you put them down the front and they stay there! I cleared a beach once when something similar swung around the back as I got out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Just the thought of you in budgie smugglers would keep me off the beach
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Just the thought of you in budgie smugglers would keep me off the beach
    I think if I ever went on a beach in that attire, even the sand would fuck off
    sneeze likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    I got the Red Tac half pint bag and is good. small and light. Might be too small for some uses. Norway's bags he designed look good. Little bit bigger than the Half pint.
    I will be doing a video re: THLR rear bags when I have the time
    Normie and Bryan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I will be doing a video re: THLR rear bags when I have the time
    Sounds good. Look forward to it.
    If you don't get Dirt, Blood or Grease under your nails it ain't a hobby

Home Made Rear Bag with Plastic Beads

Here's what I did.

I cut up some of those cloth bags shops give away. It's not nice cordura or anything just light and semi water resistant. I made a small tube that fits just into my fist, with rudimentary rabbit ears. It had to be narrow to support the stock in front of the sling swivel.

The cut out for the main cylindrical part was 150x210mm. with triangular notches cut out for the ears.
    The top was 120x50mm.
    The bottom was an 80mm dia circle.
    Seams used about 5mm on each side.
    I included a hand strap but this was a mistake, it's too tight to get my fingers through so if you do it allow plenty of slack.

Name:  rear bag plan.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  54.7 KB

The nice woman at the Bernina shop can help you out with strong needles and thread.
    Setting up the sewing machine is definitely a matter of RTFM.

Name:  Rear bag - 2.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  59.8 KB

Then turn it inside out and it looks neat. I filled it with beads from Spotlight in Te Rapa Rd, used about 2/3 of an $8 bag.

Name:  Rear bag - 4.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  137.9 KB

Here's how it fits under the rifle.

Name:  Rear bag 03.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  130.7 KB

I haven't used it for hunting yet, just on the range. Groups were at least as good as I've shot with other gear but I imagine I can see a fine tremor in the crosshairs and its not as inert as my leather Protektor bag with real sand in it. Maybe the beads are a bit slippery and bounce a little. Your hand if its squeezing will always have some 30 hz tremor due to the way muscle fibres contract and sand must damp that out. Perhaps a quick spray of the beads with F2 glue would help matters ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Here's what I did.

I cut up some of those cloth bags shops give away. It's not nice cordura or anything just light and semi water resistant. I made a small tube that fits just into my fist, with rudimentary rabbit ears. It had to be narrow to support the stock in front of the sling swivel.

The cut out for the main cylindrical part was 150x210mm. with triangular notches cut out for the ears.
    The top was 120x50mm.
    The bottom was an 80mm dia circle.
    Seams used about 5mm on each side.
    I included a hand strap but this was a mistake, it's too tight to get my fingers through so if you do it allow plenty of slack.

Attachment 11731

The nice woman at the Bernina shop can help you out with strong needles and thread.
    Setting up the sewing machine is definitely a matter of RTFM.

Attachment 11732

Then turn it inside out and it looks neat. I filled it with beads from Spotlight in Te Rapa Rd, used about 2/3 of an $8 bag.

Attachment 11734

Here's how it fits under the rifle.

Attachment 11735

I haven't used it for hunting yet, just on the range. Groups were at least as good as I've shot with other gear but I imagine I can see a fine tremor in the crosshairs and its not as inert as my leather Protektor bag with real sand in it. Maybe the beads are a bit slippery and bounce a little. Your hand if its squeezing will always have some 30 hz tremor due to the way muscle fibres contract and sand must damp that out. Perhaps a quick spray of the beads with F2 glue would help matters ?
    Very tidy, and pretty much what I had in mind. I was thinking a belt-loop would be good too, then you can just clip it off and your in action. I did sewing in form 2 at school...I'm sure I can figure out the above, although I was the fastest unpicker in the class (unpicking to fix fuck ups)

kj

i use a spare pair of heavy socks tucked up, best clean as dirty ones can make the eyes water when taking a shot.
    as a added feature i wear them in the hut/fly/bivy while the dirty ones are hanging out side which iv found to be very good mozzy and possum deterrents
    308 likes this.

What are people using to get level when using a 6-9" bipod please, off the bench only, so weight of sand not an issue ?

I need about 120mm elevation at the butt, ideally with ears, got to be stable though. Until now I've been using a Protektor No.7 front bag tipped on its side. Anyone know who brings Protektor into the country ?

On re-consideration I might pack up my current rear rest #14 rear bag with 40-50mm of something, timber maybe, but would slide around easily on a concrete bench.
    Any advice from someone who has gone down the same path and got a solution please ?
    Last edited by Puffin; 01-10-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Your off hand makes a good rear bag ... but I find getting the right height under the action makes the biggest impact on accuracy and comfort given the way I shoot.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I use rice in a bike tube about 15 cm long for the daypack. Nice and light and has lasted for ever.
    motorbike, two wheeler?

I made one, and got given some poly propoleen beads. its a bit heavy. but so is my rifle, I usually just carry them to the top of the nearest hill, and im glad I do, if a good shot oppertuinity comes up.