Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What's the goods on gun safes

What's the goods on gun safes

Need to upgrade to a bigger model.
    What do people have. Looking at 10 gun models but want them to actually hold 10.
    Any experience with either of these or any other suggestions out there. Cheers
    Name:  Screenshot_2021-11-18-21-31-35-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  456.0 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_2021-11-18-21-32-57-20_e2dcd05661dfebeb123569377c1f4abc.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  356.3 KB

Rule of thumb, divide by 2... Especially is you have scopes mounted. Have a 10gun and that fits 6 comfortably with room for maybe 1 more but would risk dints in stocks and scratches to metalwork.
    Steve123 and janleroux like this.

I got one of those 11 gun safes, it holds scoped 5 rifles.

Maybe the best thing is to just keep on adding more gunsafes rather than getting bigger ones? I admit I've got 3 safes at present. Once they're all firmly attached to the floor and walls it just seems easier to add another one if necessary. An dif the new rules about how many rifles allowed in each safe that some people are talking about actually come to pass, additional safes might have more value than a single big one.
    dogmatix, tetawa, Bill999 and 4 others like this.

You can get to the claimed number of scoped guns in if you top and tail, there's nothing wrong with standing some on the muzzle
    Makros, Dama dama, zimmer and 1 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    The police recommended 3mm steel thickness may become a regulation in the not too distant future, so I would be wary of buying one of the many safes available that have 2mm walls

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The police recommended 3mm steel thickness may become a regulation in the not too distant future, so I would be wary of buying one of the many safes available that have 2mm walls
    Or go one better and buy used E cat 6mm.
    Steve123 likes this.

x2 on going for a former E Cat safe. I'd also try and avoid electronic locks
    Danger Mouse and 40mm like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    That's possible of course. However, nearly all commercial gun cabinets have 2mm walls and a 3mm door. I think the police recommendations on the 3mm is due to a lack of knowledge of the commercially available gun cabinets out there.

Gone but not forgotten
    The police are looking to have firmer regulations around storage requirements (it was in amongst the other possible regulations they asked for submissions/feedback on earlier this year). My bet is the first step will be to make their recommended guidelines into the minimum legal requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    You can get to the claimed number of scoped guns in if you top and tail, there's nothing wrong with standing some on the muzzle
    Exactly.

What I've always done. Any recently cleaned rifle, which I've saturated the bore with Hoppes is stored upside down. The barrel end rests inside the top of a used 2l milk bottle. Surplus fluid runs out of the barrel rather than back into the action, stock screws, trigger group.

I have never damaged any rifle using this storage method.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Recently got a Spika 12 Gun I think it is. Pretty happy with it. Only fit about 9 in there though

Keep using your old one and buy another.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Exactly.

What I've always done. Any recently cleaned rifle, which I've saturated the bore with Hoppes is stored upside down. The barrel end rests inside the top of a used 2l milk bottle. Surplus fluid runs out of the barrel rather than back into the action, stock screws, trigger group.

I have never damaged any rifle using this storage method.
    thats an idea im instantly stealing. good thinking 99

Think of it as a 10 single barrel shotgun safe...
    Finnwolf likes this.